Adjustments in interviews

Hello.  I'm new here and I'm really hoping that someone can help.

Has anyone got any experience about asking for adjustments to the recruitment process, especially interviews?

I'm trying to help someone get a job and he is worried about not being able to answer questions in an interview situation even though he would be able to do the job itself well.

I've thought about asking for the interview questions in advance, but don't want to jeopardise his chances by putting off a potential employer.  He worries that it will look like he's 'cheating'.

We've looked at work placements which would lead to a job, but haven't had any success in getting him one.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions that might help us?

Many thanks.

Kate

(Development worker)

Parents
  • Owing to ill health I have not applied for many jobs since my occupational therapist and myself created that list of reasonable adjustments. Having said that, so far no one has offered me a work trail; people seem more willing to provide reasonable adjustments within an interview. No one has refused any of the suggestions within an interview, however, interviewers do struggle, for example, to ask 'closed' questions as they revert to their standard behaviour.

I recall an interview where I was asked why I was the best person for the job. The people interviewing me knew I have Asperger's but when I answered 'I cannot say I am the best person for the job because I do not know the other applicants', one interviewer burst out laughing and the other looked, well I am not sure how she looked but I do know it was not a happy look. I was not offered the position.

I also have an introductory document which is sent to the organisation upon being asked for an interview (the document includes the reasonable adjustments I listed in my previous post). The basic text of the document is shown below. Please feel free to use any or all of the text if it is of help.

--------------------

I live with the condition of Asperger's syndrome which is a lifelong disability and mostly a 'hidden disability', that is, you cannot tell someone has the condition from their outward appearance.

I, like other people with Asperger's syndrome, can make a valuable contribution to an organisation with the qualities we bring to a job, for example:

• reliability;

• conscientiousness and persistence;

• accuracy;

• close attention to detail and an ability to identify errors;

• an ability to concentrate, without distraction, on a task for lengthy periods;

• technical ability such as excellent IT skills;

• detailed factual knowledge;

• a high level of motivation.

Asperger's syndrome is a high-functioning autistic condition which affects the way a person sees the world, processes information and interacts with other people; this means they:

• usually have social communication difficulties, for example difficulty with 'reading' non-verbal communication;

• are likely to be anxious in unfamiliar situations;

• may dislike physical contact.

The key is to treat each person as an individual and avoid assumptions about their likely performance because they have Asperger's syndrome. For example I:

• worked for XXXX for over XXXX years;

• am capable of forming strong working relationships (more than XXXX years after leaving XXXX, I am still in contact with a number of ex-colleagues);

• have received acknowledgement from all my managers of my ability to train and help develop team members.

Owing to the difficulties people with Asperger's syndrome face in communicating, I am unlikely to put myself forward well in an interview. Some of the problems I may face are:

• finding it hard to think in abstract ways or considering 'what if?' scenarios;

• being more comfortable with facts than hypotheses;

• difficulty in judging how much information to give, especially if questions are 'open';

• demonstrating enthusiasm for the role;

• a general difficulty in 'selling' myself to potential employers.

In order to prevent me being discriminated against within an interview because of my disability, I would like you to consider the following reasonable adjustments please:

• a work trial (a two-way placement evaluation) or a practical test relating to the role instead of an interview;

• an informal visit prior to the interview;

• notification of the questions or selection criteria prior to the interview;

• within an interview, please consider the following:

• providing more time for the interview;

• being aware I may interpret language literally, for example asking 'How did you find your last job?' may result in an answer like 'I found it in the paper and sent off for an application form';

• the asking of 'closed', rather than 'open', questions, for example instead of 'Tell me about yourself', try 'Tell me about your last job and what it involved';

• the avoidance of hypothetical or abstract questions, for example instead of 'How would you cope with lots of interruptions?', try 'In your last job how did you cope when people interrupted you?';

• the asking of questions based on my experience;

• letting me know if I am providing too much detail.

• Owing to ill health I have not applied for many jobs since my occupational therapist and myself created that list of reasonable adjustments. Having said that, so far no one has offered me a work trail; people seem more willing to provide reasonable adjustments within an interview. No one has refused any of the suggestions within an interview, however, interviewers do struggle, for example, to ask 'closed' questions as they revert to their standard behaviour.

I recall an interview where I was asked why I was the best person for the job. The people interviewing me knew I have Asperger's but when I answered 'I cannot say I am the best person for the job because I do not know the other applicants', one interviewer burst out laughing and the other looked, well I am not sure how she looked but I do know it was not a happy look. I was not offered the position.

I also have an introductory document which is sent to the organisation upon being asked for an interview (the document includes the reasonable adjustments I listed in my previous post). The basic text of the document is shown below. Please feel free to use any or all of the text if it is of help.

--------------------

I live with the condition of Asperger's syndrome which is a lifelong disability and mostly a 'hidden disability', that is, you cannot tell someone has the condition from their outward appearance.

I, like other people with Asperger's syndrome, can make a valuable contribution to an organisation with the qualities we bring to a job, for example:

• reliability;

• conscientiousness and persistence;

• accuracy;

• close attention to detail and an ability to identify errors;

• an ability to concentrate, without distraction, on a task for lengthy periods;

• technical ability such as excellent IT skills;

• detailed factual knowledge;

• a high level of motivation.

Asperger's syndrome is a high-functioning autistic condition which affects the way a person sees the world, processes information and interacts with other people; this means they:

• usually have social communication difficulties, for example difficulty with 'reading' non-verbal communication;

• are likely to be anxious in unfamiliar situations;

• may dislike physical contact.

The key is to treat each person as an individual and avoid assumptions about their likely performance because they have Asperger's syndrome. For example I:

• worked for XXXX for over XXXX years;

• am capable of forming strong working relationships (more than XXXX years after leaving XXXX, I am still in contact with a number of ex-colleagues);

• have received acknowledgement from all my managers of my ability to train and help develop team members.

Owing to the difficulties people with Asperger's syndrome face in communicating, I am unlikely to put myself forward well in an interview. Some of the problems I may face are:

• finding it hard to think in abstract ways or considering 'what if?' scenarios;

• being more comfortable with facts than hypotheses;

• difficulty in judging how much information to give, especially if questions are 'open';

• demonstrating enthusiasm for the role;

• a general difficulty in 'selling' myself to potential employers.

In order to prevent me being discriminated against within an interview because of my disability, I would like you to consider the following reasonable adjustments please:

• a work trial (a two-way placement evaluation) or a practical test relating to the role instead of an interview;

• an informal visit prior to the interview;

• notification of the questions or selection criteria prior to the interview;

• within an interview, please consider the following:

• providing more time for the interview;

• being aware I may interpret language literally, for example asking 'How did you find your last job?' may result in an answer like 'I found it in the paper and sent off for an application form';

• the asking of 'closed', rather than 'open', questions, for example instead of 'Tell me about yourself', try 'Tell me about your last job and what it involved';

• the avoidance of hypothetical or abstract questions, for example instead of 'How would you cope with lots of interruptions?', try 'In your last job how did you cope when people interrupted you?';

• the asking of questions based on my experience;

• letting me know if I am providing too much detail.

Children
No Data