Adjustments in interviews

Hello.  I'm new here and I'm really hoping that someone can help.

Has anyone got any experience about asking for adjustments to the recruitment process, especially interviews?

I'm trying to help someone get a job and he is worried about not being able to answer questions in an interview situation even though he would be able to do the job itself well.

I've thought about asking for the interview questions in advance, but don't want to jeopardise his chances by putting off a potential employer.  He worries that it will look like he's 'cheating'.

We've looked at work placements which would lead to a job, but haven't had any success in getting him one.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions that might help us?

Many thanks.

Kate

(Development worker)

Parents
  • The option to provide questions beforehand is a reasonable adjustment and I believe I was given that suggestion by what was the Equality Commission.

Below are the reasonable adjustments my occupational therapist and I agreed upon.

• a work trial (a two-way placement evaluation) or a practical test relating to the role instead of an interview;
    • an informal visit prior to the interview;
    • notification of the questions or selection criteria prior to the interview.

Within an interview:

• providing more time for the interview;
    • being aware I may interpret language literally, for example asking 'How did you find your last job?' may result in an answer like 'I found it in the paper and sent off for an application form';
    • the asking of 'closed', rather than 'open', questions, for example instead of 'Tell me about yourself', try 'Tell me about your last job and what it involved';
    • the avoidance of hypothetical or abstract questions, for example instead of 'How would you cope with lots of interruptions?', try 'In your last job how did you cope when people interrupted you?';
    • the asking of questions based on my experience;
    • letting me know if I am providing too much detail.

• The option to provide questions beforehand is a reasonable adjustment and I believe I was given that suggestion by what was the Equality Commission.

Below are the reasonable adjustments my occupational therapist and I agreed upon.

• a work trial (a two-way placement evaluation) or a practical test relating to the role instead of an interview;
    • an informal visit prior to the interview;
    • notification of the questions or selection criteria prior to the interview.

Within an interview:

• providing more time for the interview;
    • being aware I may interpret language literally, for example asking 'How did you find your last job?' may result in an answer like 'I found it in the paper and sent off for an application form';
    • the asking of 'closed', rather than 'open', questions, for example instead of 'Tell me about yourself', try 'Tell me about your last job and what it involved';
    • the avoidance of hypothetical or abstract questions, for example instead of 'How would you cope with lots of interruptions?', try 'In your last job how did you cope when people interrupted you?';
    • the asking of questions based on my experience;
    • letting me know if I am providing too much detail.

Children
No Data