Protecting Yourself From Meltdown

Hi everyone,

If you are ever in a situation that can trigger a meltdown, do you always try to remove yourself from the triggering situation, or do you try to tough it out? I am in a situation where there is a lot of audible stimuli that I can't cope with very well but I am trying to tough it out because I don't wish to be hurtful towards the people who are causing the disturbances that trigger a meltdown in me. Is this the right thing to do, or should I always try to remove myself from the situation to protect my own sanity? I would be very grateful for any advice.

Paddy

Parents
  • I have a few tactics that I find helpful, though they haven't eliminated melt-downs completely.

For sensitivity to sound, I use my mp3 player and headphones to mask external noises.  You needn't necessarily play music through it - for some people recordings of the natural world are more effective, and for others even recordings of a single tone or white noise. The sound of a ticking clock is especially soothing for me.  Ear plugs, such as used to keep out industrial noise, can be very helpful as well - I use those at night, or when I do need awareness of my surroundings, but at a lower volume level.

Making sure I get some time when I'm not exposed to triggers is good too.  I find that a walk in the park or woods "empties the bucket" of accumulated irritation, which has improved my tolerance for noise at times when I can't excuse myself.  The trick with this, I find, is to make it part of my daily routine wherever possible, rather than waiting until I feel a melt-down is imminent - that way I'm not waking each morning with the "bucket" already half-full.

• I have a few tactics that I find helpful, though they haven't eliminated melt-downs completely.

For sensitivity to sound, I use my mp3 player and headphones to mask external noises.  You needn't necessarily play music through it - for some people recordings of the natural world are more effective, and for others even recordings of a single tone or white noise. The sound of a ticking clock is especially soothing for me.  Ear plugs, such as used to keep out industrial noise, can be very helpful as well - I use those at night, or when I do need awareness of my surroundings, but at a lower volume level.

Making sure I get some time when I'm not exposed to triggers is good too.  I find that a walk in the park or woods "empties the bucket" of accumulated irritation, which has improved my tolerance for noise at times when I can't excuse myself.  The trick with this, I find, is to make it part of my daily routine wherever possible, rather than waiting until I feel a melt-down is imminent - that way I'm not waking each morning with the "bucket" already half-full.

Children
No Data