Parents Deafness

Hello everyone. I would like to ask a question regarding how to deal with parents who are suffering from age-related deafness. I recently bought some earplugs so I can spend a bit more time with them without having a meltdown, or causing a general argument but I am unsure what to do. I tried the earplugs and they don't seem to work very well. Obviously, I may have to try a range of them before I find some I like, or, alternatively, buy some noise-cancelling headphones, but, can I ask how anyone else deals with a situation like this? Do I leave the room, making myself more distant to them, at times, or should it be up to me to accomodate them because I live with them? It's very difficult for me to work out the best course of action that causes the minimum amount of upset for everyone. Thanks for any advice.

Parents
  • That is a tricky situation. I do understand a little bit as My father (who has aspergers and sound sensitvity) is going deaf. This is great for him in some ways as he is less affected by noises, but it does mean he has his music & T.V. up really loud. I myself have A.S.C. & suffer from noise sensitivity and the first thing I have to do, when I visit him, is turn the T.V. off. thankfully I dont live with him,  but I sympathise. So here are some possible suggestions, which may be completely useless but...

do they talk really loundly? or is it just that they have the tv/radio up loud? You can get wireless headphones that have a unit that plugs into the TV/music system, and allows the wearer to walk about, listen to there chosen level of noisy entertainment. and allows others to enjoy the slience.  Would your parents consider wearing these if you explained that they have the volume up so high it is affecting you? or get them to talk more quietly?

I know this sounds bonkers, but could you learn all learn sign languge? I wear ear defenders about the house (as I have a crying baby who unfortunately does not have a mute button) my husband accepts this as the alternative is me having meltdowns where I am no good to anyone. and he has quite naturally started to communicate with my more visualy. which I find easier to understand. wondering if this might work in some instances.

I use these noise cancelling ear plugs, which I recommend, they are quite expensive, but needs must.

www.boots.com/.../

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_1

There ear defenders are good. and interestignly the good thing about these is that it is obvious you are wearing them & so others have to modify there behaviour towards you.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_ph

Best of luck!

• That is a tricky situation. I do understand a little bit as My father (who has aspergers and sound sensitvity) is going deaf. This is great for him in some ways as he is less affected by noises, but it does mean he has his music & T.V. up really loud. I myself have A.S.C. & suffer from noise sensitivity and the first thing I have to do, when I visit him, is turn the T.V. off. thankfully I dont live with him,  but I sympathise. So here are some possible suggestions, which may be completely useless but...

do they talk really loundly? or is it just that they have the tv/radio up loud? You can get wireless headphones that have a unit that plugs into the TV/music system, and allows the wearer to walk about, listen to there chosen level of noisy entertainment. and allows others to enjoy the slience.  Would your parents consider wearing these if you explained that they have the volume up so high it is affecting you? or get them to talk more quietly?

I know this sounds bonkers, but could you learn all learn sign languge? I wear ear defenders about the house (as I have a crying baby who unfortunately does not have a mute button) my husband accepts this as the alternative is me having meltdowns where I am no good to anyone. and he has quite naturally started to communicate with my more visualy. which I find easier to understand. wondering if this might work in some instances.

I use these noise cancelling ear plugs, which I recommend, they are quite expensive, but needs must.

www.boots.com/.../

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_1

There ear defenders are good. and interestignly the good thing about these is that it is obvious you are wearing them & so others have to modify there behaviour towards you.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_ph

Best of luck!

Children
No Data