Futility of Life

hi,

im not sure if it's my bipolar depression or aspergers taking over but I am struggling to improve in psychodynamic therapy because all I can see is the futility in life.  I'm married without children and too old for them now.  I only really stay alive for my husband, I have a couple of friends who I see occasionally, my parents are alive but I am not on speaking terms with them because they will not accept my diagnoses.   I can't work because I burnt out and find being around people regularly unbearable and anyway, they reject me pretty quickly.  I've never really had a social life or been part of a group, im unable to have special interests because I have no energy or interest in things due to inertia and tiredness perhaps partly caused by meds.  I fail to see what the point of life is as I can't find any meaning to it.  Do others struggle with this?

Parents
  • Hi Gojojo

I can't say whether your feelings are best described by depression or mid-life crisis or something else. I've done the depression thing and have gone through mid-lefe so know something about that so You have my sympathy.

Have you seen this website therecoveryletters.com/the-recovery-letters ? I heard about it on All In the Mind on radio4 and I think it is a good place to go if you think you might be suffering from depression or something related to that.

It sounds to me that you could benefit from doing something for yourself rather than doing things for your husband or anyone else. Be kind to yourself and indulge yourself a bit.

The other suggestion is that you could do well to get some professional advice and/or find people to talk to - your GP is a good place to start or there is saneline www.sane.org.uk/.../helpline

• Hi Gojojo

I can't say whether your feelings are best described by depression or mid-life crisis or something else. I've done the depression thing and have gone through mid-lefe so know something about that so You have my sympathy.

Have you seen this website therecoveryletters.com/the-recovery-letters ? I heard about it on All In the Mind on radio4 and I think it is a good place to go if you think you might be suffering from depression or something related to that.

It sounds to me that you could benefit from doing something for yourself rather than doing things for your husband or anyone else. Be kind to yourself and indulge yourself a bit.

The other suggestion is that you could do well to get some professional advice and/or find people to talk to - your GP is a good place to start or there is saneline www.sane.org.uk/.../helpline

Children
No Data