Help! Newly diagnosed, age 59. What now?

Hi everyone.  I was diagnosed with ASD and ADHD last week.  This was an online NHS appointment.  Was told they would contact my GP and put some "adjustment letters", presumably for work (I am self employed anyway) on my portal, and send me a copy.  They also recommended some resources I could read and a You Tube blog I could look at (which I tried and found it insanely annoying).  Then that was it!   Is something supposed to happen? 

I have chosen to see a therapist privately, due to the nature of my work, but aside from that I don't know what to do next. 

So what now?  Can someone talk me through it please.  I have tried looking at other You Tube channels, but I am not finding them useful.  They are either too patronising, or incredibly irritating.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - I'm looking for neutral information rather than someone just talking about themselves for 45 minutes!

Parents
  • I don't know, I was diagnosed at 50 and just left to get on with it, it was thought that as I'd got to 50 without help that I didn't need any, I would have hoped things would of improved in the last 12 years, but obviously not.

I think us in the older demographic are very poorly served compared to younger people.

I don't do You-Tube or any other online stuff, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it patronsising and irritating. It's the same with books, its hard to find any that talk about autism in older people, or women, if they talk about women at all, then it seems to be as parents of autistic children or young women. I'd love to see something by and for women, looking at our experiences in the round, how it effects our whole lives, not just one bit of it.

• Different not less

Cloe Hayden

Reply Children
No Data