Panic Flying

I've just arrived home from a short holiday to Portugal. I've not been on holiday for nearly 10 years so I have been in a near panic attack state for about a month.

Proud I did it, but my god was it hard to make myself live through the flights each way. I find being in confined spaces, with loads of strangers, limited toilet access, and random goings on, really anxiety inducing.

Id love to open up more and be able to travel, for my family as much as myself.

Anyone else feel the same about flying? How do you manage it?

• for me it's all about strategy.

I plan trips and ask for accommodations, like early boarding,  and wear my NC headphones, black out eye mask, and earplugs.

I also make a chart of when I need to be there and give myself a lot fo time to do all of it: If my flight is a 5pm I am at the airport by 1:30. this gives me lots of time to acclimatize; if a connecting fight is calculated for under 1 hour I choose a later flight to avoid panic and hurry. 

I also research y location and make a holiday calendar, like an advent calendar but you can see all the days at once.

I also research the public transit options and study a map of the area, looking for good ways to get around and have the map in my head. Having the map in my head helps also in that I may be where there is no cell tower.

Now there is googlemaps., but they cannot determine bad neighborhoods and construction deviations.

Quiet cafes are a comfort zone for me. and libraries. I use then as bolt holes if things feel overwhelming. Finding a quiet cafe these days is hard, though. Libraries are still the same, overall. find something/place calming.

I don't book too much in one day.

there are many strategies. I am 70 so I've had lots of time to find what works. experiment.

One of the hardest things used to be the pat-down. I cringe at random groping and wimper, panic, fidget. Now they are all very nice and accommodating. Right after 9/11 it was hell.

• Weirdly although I don’t enjoy the experience I can manage it because of what’s at the other end. Same returning home, I can’t wait to get back. I find being in a busy hotel, music and hundreds of voices all talking at the same time completely overwhelming. I cane back from Portugal not too long ago. Where abouts did you holiday in Portugal? 

• What puts me off flying is the hassle of airport security, otherwise I love flying (preferably in first class or business class) - frankly, we autistics should get free upgrades to first class - I was always big into flying and aviation and a few years ago, having not been able to become a pilot, I tried to become cabin crew without success, applying to several airlines around the world despite being in the supermarkets at the time, long before my diagnosis - many who follow leftist ideologies thought that my dreams and ambitions were unrealistic, because they seek to hold people back and keep people down, a key part of all leftist/communist ideologies, which is why they pushed me towards an autism diagnosis because they thought that I was too vocal and too opinionated in an effort to silence me and shut me up, being the butt of their jokes - it’s one reason why I totally despise and hate leftism in general, because it ignores and dismisses merit 

• I am the same. I do not enjoy flying and I am always anxious weeks beforehand. I went to St Lucia in May so I did it, but doesn't mean it was easy for me.

• Impressive to have managed a Portugal trip. Respect!

I think I have got worse over the years. The lowest point is when I spent most of a trans-Atlantic flight hiding in the toilets.

I manage things okay, but much prefer travelling by train.