Connectivity with others

I think that society has changed a very great deal from when I was young.

In some ways the internet has helped connectivity but I believe it has also hindered it.

In pre internet days people were thrown together (ie in person) probably much more than nowadays, leading to sometimes unexpected friendships/relationships.

How do people meet nowadays other than via dating apps?
For those of us who have lived through both eras, which do you prefer?
Parents
  • I don't know which I prefer, I think it's age dependent, I've never had a smart phone or FB and stuff so I've never experienced the "need" to check my phone all the time, on the odd occaision when I am out with people I do find it off putting when people are checking thier phones all the time, it's like I'm not good enough company. I don't miss being the odd one out, I remember the excrutiating teenage years of constant social anxiety about who I was going to go out with, would the boy I liked like me.

I'm just glad I'm out of all of that now, I have done online dating, it's a very mixed bag, one the one hand you can find out pretty quickly how much in common you have with somebody, but there's always the temptation to keep looking. I think the dating thing is overblown and Americanised, we never did dates when I was young, there was just a group of us who hung out together and couples would be formed from friends and friends of friends. I don't like this list culture that seems to have grown up around finding a partner, it's not like going to a supermarket to buy a lettuce, I miss finding people that I just get on with. But then maybe I've become more closed over the years?

I think the idea of the internet is great, but the reality less so, it seems to sell itself on false promises, you can get anythig from anywhere iin the world! As long as it's the same narrow range of products and so much stuff is behind paywalls that for me negates a lot of the point of having free and easy access to a world full of information, along with people being able to buy their way to the top of search engines. In reality can anyone be bothered to look through millions of entries that come up with a simple search? Most of them seem to be the same things in different forms anyway.

There are some things I like and some I definately don't, I love my kindle, but I liked it even more when library services were properly funded. It's great being able to see if something you want is in stock, but there seems to be an assumption of internet shopping over physical stores where you can browse and try stuff on before you buy it. Being someone who can be surrounded by every pair of shoes in my size that a shop has and finding none of them fit puts me off of buying online, aas I don't have the hundreds of pounds of upfront money to purchase 6 or 8 pairs of shoes in the hope that one of them will fit makes ease of sending them back a bit pointless.

• I don't know which I prefer, I think it's age dependent, I've never had a smart phone or FB and stuff so I've never experienced the "need" to check my phone all the time, on the odd occaision when I am out with people I do find it off putting when people are checking thier phones all the time, it's like I'm not good enough company. I don't miss being the odd one out, I remember the excrutiating teenage years of constant social anxiety about who I was going to go out with, would the boy I liked like me.

I'm just glad I'm out of all of that now, I have done online dating, it's a very mixed bag, one the one hand you can find out pretty quickly how much in common you have with somebody, but there's always the temptation to keep looking. I think the dating thing is overblown and Americanised, we never did dates when I was young, there was just a group of us who hung out together and couples would be formed from friends and friends of friends. I don't like this list culture that seems to have grown up around finding a partner, it's not like going to a supermarket to buy a lettuce, I miss finding people that I just get on with. But then maybe I've become more closed over the years?

I think the idea of the internet is great, but the reality less so, it seems to sell itself on false promises, you can get anythig from anywhere iin the world! As long as it's the same narrow range of products and so much stuff is behind paywalls that for me negates a lot of the point of having free and easy access to a world full of information, along with people being able to buy their way to the top of search engines. In reality can anyone be bothered to look through millions of entries that come up with a simple search? Most of them seem to be the same things in different forms anyway.

There are some things I like and some I definately don't, I love my kindle, but I liked it even more when library services were properly funded. It's great being able to see if something you want is in stock, but there seems to be an assumption of internet shopping over physical stores where you can browse and try stuff on before you buy it. Being someone who can be surrounded by every pair of shoes in my size that a shop has and finding none of them fit puts me off of buying online, aas I don't have the hundreds of pounds of upfront money to purchase 6 or 8 pairs of shoes in the hope that one of them will fit makes ease of sending them back a bit pointless.

Children
No Data