Do Autistic adults understand emotional connection?

I am married to an ASD man.

I talk about my unmet emotional needs and he doesn't understand when I talk about the lack of connection.

He just talks about whether I am meeting his unmet needs which are just idealistic and not a basic need.

Can anyone help?  Am I fighting a losing battle?  Is an emotional connection not possible in an ND relationship?

Parents
  • I am wondering why you married this man, if you don't believe you have an emotional connection? Did you have it when you met, but you feel it's been lost since you got married? That happens with lots of relationships, not just ones with ND partners.

I can't really advise as you don't say what your unmet needs are, or what his are either. If you just tell him there is "a lack of connection" how can he guess what to do about that?

But in answer to your question, yes, autistic adults do have and understand emotional connection. You just have a normal relationship issue.

• I am wondering why you married this man, if you don't believe you have an emotional connection? Did you have it when you met, but you feel it's been lost since you got married? That happens with lots of relationships, not just ones with ND partners.

I can't really advise as you don't say what your unmet needs are, or what his are either. If you just tell him there is "a lack of connection" how can he guess what to do about that?

But in answer to your question, yes, autistic adults do have and understand emotional connection. You just have a normal relationship issue.

Children
No Data