Do Autistic adults understand emotional connection?

I am married to an ASD man.

I talk about my unmet emotional needs and he doesn't understand when I talk about the lack of connection.

He just talks about whether I am meeting his unmet needs which are just idealistic and not a basic need.

Can anyone help?  Am I fighting a losing battle?  Is an emotional connection not possible in an ND relationship?

Parents
  • I’m autistic, my two adult children are both autistic, and my husband has many autistic traits but no diagnosis. We feel a deep emotional connection to each other - so I don’t think you can really generalise. 
    Ultimately - whether someone in a relationship is autistic or not - it’s important that that you are happy in the relationship and feeling loved and cared for. If you’re very unhappy and your partner cannot meet your essential needs in the relationship then it has to be addressed. Very hard - but you can’t just accept a relationship that causes you so much unhappiness.

• I’m autistic, my two adult children are both autistic, and my husband has many autistic traits but no diagnosis. We feel a deep emotional connection to each other - so I don’t think you can really generalise. 
    Ultimately - whether someone in a relationship is autistic or not - it’s important that that you are happy in the relationship and feeling loved and cared for. If you’re very unhappy and your partner cannot meet your essential needs in the relationship then it has to be addressed. Very hard - but you can’t just accept a relationship that causes you so much unhappiness.

Children
No Data