Do Autistic adults understand emotional connection?

I am married to an ASD man.

I talk about my unmet emotional needs and he doesn't understand when I talk about the lack of connection.

He just talks about whether I am meeting his unmet needs which are just idealistic and not a basic need.

Can anyone help?  Am I fighting a losing battle?  Is an emotional connection not possible in an ND relationship?

Parents
  • Do Autistic adults understand emotional connection?

Of course we do.

I hope I'm not alone in finding that question rather patronising.

He just talks about whether I am meeting his unmet needs which are just idealistic and not a basic need.

Really?

Maybe listen a bit more closely to what he is saying and try to address his own needs that he believes you may not be meeting.

You seem to be defining his needs for him.

It takes two to tango.

Is an emotional connection not possible in an ND relationship?

I can't understand why you might think this - have you thought about the fact that this might be simply relationship based and not related to his autism.

You seem rather over critical of him.

• Do Autistic adults understand emotional connection?

Of course we do.

I hope I'm not alone in finding that question rather patronising.

Really?

Maybe listen a bit more closely to what he is saying and try to address his own needs that he believes you may not be meeting.

You seem to be defining his needs for him.

It takes two to tango.

Is an emotional connection not possible in an ND relationship?

I can't understand why you might think this - have you thought about the fact that this might be simply relationship based and not related to his autism.

You seem rather over critical of him.

Children
No Data