Post diagnosis' low mood.

Hi all,

I was officially diagnosed 2 days ago. Even though i was pretty certain that i was autistic, the diagnosis has really affected me. Initially i was pleased with the validation finally as a 38 year old female i was fed up with having to justify to people why i am autistic as not stereotypical. Anyway once that wore off i have felt completely flat and shut down. Did anyone else experience this? I did not expect it to affect me at all as i thought i had accepted the fact that i am autistic. 
I have of coursed looked this up and read about late diagnosis grief? is that actually a thing? 

Parents
  • Hi Jo - congratulations on your diagnosis and welcome to the community!

It's great that you've already felt some benefit from your diagnosis - I cried with relief when I received mine!

However, during the period following a diagnosis it also can be common for us - especially as late-diagnosed adults - to experience emotional dysregulation. So please don't worry, this is normal! This can include working through a phase where we experience (backward-focused) anger, frustration, grieving and more. And I, for one, have also cried about that, too :(

The NAS has a great set of articles focused around diagnosis, including one covering how you might feel during the subsequent days / weeks / months - you might find them of interest and/or helpful:

NAS - How you might feel after a diagnosis

NAS - Other advice covering post-diagnosis

In terms of what to do next, my advice at this point (ie so soon after your diagnosis two days ago) would be to try and give yourself some time and breathing space to process and absorb everything that you've been through, and let your feelings settle down.

For me, as for many others here, my diagnosis turned out to be much more of the start of a new journey, rather than a solution-rich conclusion.  

Looking ahead just a little, therapy is often recommended after a diagnosis. You might find it helpful to borrow or buy this book, which includes discussion of various types of therapy and counselling, together with advice on choosing the right therapist or counsellor - all from an autistic person's viewpoint. Several of us here have found it very helpful, myself included:

The Autistic Survival Guide to Therapy

• Hi Bunny,

Thank you so much for your very helpful reply! i really appreciate it. I will do as advised re the book and have a look through the links you have provided Blush

• You’re most welcome! Slight smile

Reply Children
No Data