I really don’t get this

Hey guys I don’t get this I have went to autism groups for years and it is literally impossible to make friends with someone with autism. I have a friend who is autistic but they don’t even feel like a friend. Conversations are all one way my way. They just have generic responses to everything they have no opinions at all about anything. I find this really boring to be honest I want friends that will have an opinion and disagree with me now and again. Is this common for autistic people to be like this? I don’t know why I am not like that? I have opinions about everything and anything. I attended my autism group for the last time last week and it was a very strange experience indeed. I felt a bit uncomfortable as some of the autistic folks there it seemed like they were staring at me coldly or something. Yeh it was really weird. Is this normal? I mean I feel like I only look at someone briefly then look away and think about what I am going to say then talk then look them in the eyes when they are talking but no this guy was straight up staring at me for some reason. I didn’t say anything because he probably didn’t mean it. It’s just the way he is I suppose. I don’t think he meant any harm. But it was kinda weird at the time. Then I knew another autistic person that just straight up ignored you and acts legit stupid all the time. Are they doing this because they don’t like me or is it because that’s just the way they are? Anyway I am done with autistic groups. Yall on here seem alright but I dunno it’s just like all the autistic people I meet in real life just come across as complete a**holes for some reason. Forgive me they could just be really anxious and not mean to act like an a**hole all the time. But how would I know because they never tell me that they are anxious instead they just act like this towards me all the time and it makes me angry. Any help helps?

Parents
  • I would have had the same feeling if I joined a group of people like you described. I’m thinking to join some group related to some interests. I would love to join a group for painting pictures, or photography. Or best would be a group of UFO lovers! But I’m not sure any exists where I live. I also have a Problem, I would like to have here a friend or two, but I have no energy, also no time for that because I’m very busy, working mother of a toddler. I’m also curious, these people you described might have some deeper level of disability. As far as I know an aspie with another aspie might (does not necessarily have to) find a really good connection, the same wavelength. In my case I noticed that I best communicate with other neurodivergent people, most often ADHD, although they are often too fast and too chaotic for me. Maybe I’m myself AuDHD. I like Talking not only about the topics of my interest, I can also discuss with someone things we observe, something I have experience with etc.  I just can’t do the  small talk about irrelevant things and I often go off the script and also don’t look much in the other person’s eyes, that’s why I have difficulties finding friends. Best are conversations with my mom! Deep, philosophical or about science all this while walking side by side with no eye contact. 

• I would have had the same feeling if I joined a group of people like you described. I’m thinking to join some group related to some interests. I would love to join a group for painting pictures, or photography. Or best would be a group of UFO lovers! But I’m not sure any exists where I live. I also have a Problem, I would like to have here a friend or two, but I have no energy, also no time for that because I’m very busy, working mother of a toddler. I’m also curious, these people you described might have some deeper level of disability. As far as I know an aspie with another aspie might (does not necessarily have to) find a really good connection, the same wavelength. In my case I noticed that I best communicate with other neurodivergent people, most often ADHD, although they are often too fast and too chaotic for me. Maybe I’m myself AuDHD. I like Talking not only about the topics of my interest, I can also discuss with someone things we observe, something I have experience with etc.  I just can’t do the  small talk about irrelevant things and I often go off the script and also don’t look much in the other person’s eyes, that’s why I have difficulties finding friends. Best are conversations with my mom! Deep, philosophical or about science all this while walking side by side with no eye contact. 

Children
No Data