How to make friends as an autistic adult

I was recently diagnosed with autism in my early 40’s and it’s been making me think about how, although I have friends, it feels like such a lonely place because I might not act interested in people or want to talk but I still crave friendship. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Parents
  • Nearly two years ago I started "Zoom Film Night", in the hope that a few people would come along, and it would create conversation amongst them, and possibly over time lead to friendships being formed, because pf posts such as this.

I have reliably provided a film each week, except last week, MOSTLY for the sole benefit of me and my "assistant" and OCCASIONALLY a member (or even two) from this forum.  

I got through spates of "advertising it", here (just look up film night with the search function) but to my utter surprise none of the people I read beggiing for any sort of connection or social life take me up on the offer!!

There's no money required, only the time taken to watch the film, there's no face to face exposure to ANYONE although it's always an option. It seems reasonable to expect people to not yak away across the soundtrack, but there are options for people to speak if they want to, in between the "reels" and afterwards or make a comment on here.

I've got a small repertoire of obscure films that are surpisingly, "universally good", which should provide a basis for comment and conversation.

If I had attracted a regular cadre but you still weren't sayng much, I had ideas for "vays to get you to talk" but my initial concern was could I actually be reliable when it came to being in the same place each week doing the same thing?

I've been hoarding what I consider to be the "best" films all year, but I'm going to start chonging my way though them soon.

I've practically given up on this forum, to tell the truth, (after nearly two years, some might say that's long overdue) and am increasingly reluctant to even mention film night in passing, but this sort of thread is exactly why I started it. 

If you really want some friendships, know this: They are built on shared activities and then complaing about them! Don't do any shared activities or talk to people and you won't attact any friends. Of course my film night is probably going to require a half a dozen people watching a half a dozen films over 6 weeks, before one member passes a comment that makes another one think, "oooh, I like the way this person thinks about the films we watched". Or maybe someone will criticise some aspect of the way I run the film, I don't know.

What I DO know, is that the film night I attended in my twenties run by my drug dealer at the time, was a place where friendships were formed.

It was also a place where the pace of the interchanges was not so fast and furious that keeping up was demanding, and many people would choose to leave straight after, me included when my cat was very young and could not be left unattended for very long. 

It seemed a good idea at the time, that would meet an expressed need.

But when it comes down to it, either I need a partner to do the "advertising" here and get it right, (don't advise me how to, I've had enough advice, and made enough effort to get this right, that I am now disinterested in doing any of that beyond what I do now, and even that will have ceased at or before Christmas) or I'm simply mistaken that what seemed to work so well for me in my twenties when faced with the same problem people describe here, lack of social mobility, could indeed be useful. 

No point in flogging a dead horse, as they say... 

• Nearly two years ago I started "Zoom Film Night", in the hope that a few people would come along, and it would create conversation amongst them, and possibly over time lead to friendships being formed, because pf posts such as this.

I have reliably provided a film each week, except last week, MOSTLY for the sole benefit of me and my "assistant" and OCCASIONALLY a member (or even two) from this forum.  

I got through spates of "advertising it", here (just look up film night with the search function) but to my utter surprise none of the people I read beggiing for any sort of connection or social life take me up on the offer!!

There's no money required, only the time taken to watch the film, there's no face to face exposure to ANYONE although it's always an option. It seems reasonable to expect people to not yak away across the soundtrack, but there are options for people to speak if they want to, in between the "reels" and afterwards or make a comment on here.

I've got a small repertoire of obscure films that are surpisingly, "universally good", which should provide a basis for comment and conversation.

If I had attracted a regular cadre but you still weren't sayng much, I had ideas for "vays to get you to talk" but my initial concern was could I actually be reliable when it came to being in the same place each week doing the same thing?

I've been hoarding what I consider to be the "best" films all year, but I'm going to start chonging my way though them soon.

I've practically given up on this forum, to tell the truth, (after nearly two years, some might say that's long overdue) and am increasingly reluctant to even mention film night in passing, but this sort of thread is exactly why I started it. 

If you really want some friendships, know this: They are built on shared activities and then complaing about them! Don't do any shared activities or talk to people and you won't attact any friends. Of course my film night is probably going to require a half a dozen people watching a half a dozen films over 6 weeks, before one member passes a comment that makes another one think, "oooh, I like the way this person thinks about the films we watched". Or maybe someone will criticise some aspect of the way I run the film, I don't know.

What I DO know, is that the film night I attended in my twenties run by my drug dealer at the time, was a place where friendships were formed.

It was also a place where the pace of the interchanges was not so fast and furious that keeping up was demanding, and many people would choose to leave straight after, me included when my cat was very young and could not be left unattended for very long. 

It seemed a good idea at the time, that would meet an expressed need.

But when it comes down to it, either I need a partner to do the "advertising" here and get it right, (don't advise me how to, I've had enough advice, and made enough effort to get this right, that I am now disinterested in doing any of that beyond what I do now, and even that will have ceased at or before Christmas) or I'm simply mistaken that what seemed to work so well for me in my twenties when faced with the same problem people describe here, lack of social mobility, could indeed be useful. 

No point in flogging a dead horse, as they say... 

Children
No Data