How to make friends as an autistic adult

I was recently diagnosed with autism in my early 40’s and it’s been making me think about how, although I have friends, it feels like such a lonely place because I might not act interested in people or want to talk but I still crave friendship. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Parents
  • Yes I struggle with this between not wanting to be with people I don't know as I'm not comfortable with anyone outside of close family.  But then having a need to have friends. At work yesterday I felt awful as all the team seems close apart from me. It makes me feel sad.  But then I have to remind myself that I avoid them as much as I can because I don't actually like most of them.  They talk about each other negatively quite a bit when some aren't there.  But to their face they act as if they love each other.  It is not nice to witness. I really don't want to be part of that.  So get annoyed at myself for feeling sad. So I shook it off yesterday. 

Sorry I don't have advice but do understand what you're meaning. 

• Yes I struggle with this between not wanting to be with people I don't know as I'm not comfortable with anyone outside of close family.  But then having a need to have friends. At work yesterday I felt awful as all the team seems close apart from me. It makes me feel sad.  But then I have to remind myself that I avoid them as much as I can because I don't actually like most of them.  They talk about each other negatively quite a bit when some aren't there.  But to their face they act as if they love each other.  It is not nice to witness. I really don't want to be part of that.  So get annoyed at myself for feeling sad. So I shook it off yesterday. 

Sorry I don't have advice but do understand what you're meaning. 

Children
No Data