How to make friends as an autistic adult

I was recently diagnosed with autism in my early 40’s and it’s been making me think about how, although I have friends, it feels like such a lonely place because I might not act interested in people or want to talk but I still crave friendship. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Parents
  • I think it's about working out what you really need in friendships, combined with what you want, and finding a middle ground.  

I spent years thinking I was a social butterfly who could handle having loads of friends but I was wrong. I thought I liked online only friendships but I was wrong. 

I've gone through a lot which has made me quite guarded though. I'm very careful when it comes to allowing someone into my life as a friend now. 

• I think it's about working out what you really need in friendships, combined with what you want, and finding a middle ground.  

I spent years thinking I was a social butterfly who could handle having loads of friends but I was wrong. I thought I liked online only friendships but I was wrong. 

I've gone through a lot which has made me quite guarded though. I'm very careful when it comes to allowing someone into my life as a friend now. 

Children
No Data