Realising I'm better off unattached

Recently I'm coming to terms that I function better without friends or attachments, I have my own routines and rhythms that malfunction when things change too much too fast or when I try to change to appease people and ignore my introverted nature.

I'm not completely asocial, but I engage in the minimum contact required to keep things balanced.

I am considering telling my local activity coordinator next week that I want to stop looking for social groups and volunteering.

Parents
  • Hey Wave. I totally hear you on this! Until I suspected I was autistic (currently on the waitlist for assessment), I'd always forced myself to be sociable and then get upset when it didn't go well. Or if I messaged other people but they didn't reply for several days (or at all), etc. Plus it drains me so quickly, after an hour or two I need to get away and spend time on my own. Which was interpreted as me being a spoilsport/rude for leaving early etc. It's just so confusing! Over the years have learnt to be content on my own and these days have very little in person contact with people any more, especially now I mostly work from home too. Some days I feel really lonely, but in a way I prefer that to the confusing/difficult social world I don't have the manual for xx

• Hey Wave. I totally hear you on this! Until I suspected I was autistic (currently on the waitlist for assessment), I'd always forced myself to be sociable and then get upset when it didn't go well. Or if I messaged other people but they didn't reply for several days (or at all), etc. Plus it drains me so quickly, after an hour or two I need to get away and spend time on my own. Which was interpreted as me being a spoilsport/rude for leaving early etc. It's just so confusing! Over the years have learnt to be content on my own and these days have very little in person contact with people any more, especially now I mostly work from home too. Some days I feel really lonely, but in a way I prefer that to the confusing/difficult social world I don't have the manual for xx

Children
No Data