Abit ASC and abit ADHD

My daughter has been through assessments for both ASC and ADHD. Neurodiverse characteristics were identified in both assessments, but she did not reach the clinical threshold for either, so is without a diagnosis. She is struggling with her identity as she knows that she finds challenges in life that she's observed others do not. What would be the best way to support her with this? I've suggested that she could still view herself as neurodiverse and we can support her in the areas she is struggling

Parents
  • By way of a postscript, just a couple of quick comments on terminology: 

she could still view herself as neurodiverse

This graphic explains the terminology (you can click / tap on it for a less blurry version):

Also, you titled your post: "A bit ASC and a bit ADHD"

Important clarification: I'm not personally offended or upset by this (not that that matters, except in respect of why I'm raising it). I understand what you meant by it, and I'm not trying to tell you off!

But I do just want to forewarn you - and your daughter - that, for some people who do have these diagnoses, this kind of "a bit xxxx" phraseology can feel very much like a red rag to a bull, and cause them to get upset. So it might best be avoided if taking part in, for example, a support group or if chatting to others on social media.

Perhaps a good alternative might be something like "I have some traits of autism and ADHD".

I wish you both all the best! :)

• By way of a postscript, just a couple of quick comments on terminology: 

she could still view herself as neurodiverse

This graphic explains the terminology (you can click / tap on it for a less blurry version):

Also, you titled your post: "A bit ASC and a bit ADHD"

Important clarification: I'm not personally offended or upset by this (not that that matters, except in respect of why I'm raising it). I understand what you meant by it, and I'm not trying to tell you off!

But I do just want to forewarn you - and your daughter - that, for some people who do have these diagnoses, this kind of "a bit xxxx" phraseology can feel very much like a red rag to a bull, and cause them to get upset. So it might best be avoided if taking part in, for example, a support group or if chatting to others on social media.

Perhaps a good alternative might be something like "I have some traits of autism and ADHD".

I wish you both all the best! :)

Children
No Data