re being teased as a child or adult

I just started the process of being diagnosed with autism with 'right to choose'. I also have  been diagnosed with adhd in June this year. 

The question I wanted to ask was about teasing. I was teased at age 9 yrs old because I developed a skin condition (which I grew out of). The teasing lasted til I left primary school. I remember there was a particular boy who teased me. I was lined up with my class one day and I kicked him and he kicked me back. I remember thinking that hurt and not going to that again. My parents never knew I was teased as I bottle it up. I think it was a subconscious decision because I thought I had to suck it up. I was brought up by a WW2 child who lived through air raids in London as a teenager. 

I chose to go to a girls school because I hated boys because of that. In secondary school I was never teased as far as I can remember (over 50 years ago ).

Fast forward to being an adult I still don't like being teased (even if its gently teasing). I thought it was because I was teased as a child, however I now realised that I don't understand I am being teased e.g. I just done an open water swim in a lake last Saturday. I went to church the next day and some people were teasing about the number of the lake. Each lake near there had a number.  I answered that I didn't know why it was called that number or that there were others. I thought they were being serious but they weren't. It took me a moment to realise they didn't want an explanation. 

Is this a characteristic of autism. Not understanding when people tease you?   

Parents
  • Don’t you think though that autistic people over react sometimes and think they’re being bullied when they’re not at all. This is what then leads to actual bullying! Because someone might take the p*ss out of an autistic person just for a laugh but the autistic person will then over react because they take everything literally and don’t understand banter. This is what then causes them to get really bullied. Because they have been identified as soft targets by perpetrators because they can’t take a bit of banter for example. So it then causes others to see them as soft and target them in future. Humanity has a pecking order and a social hierarchy, autistic people tend to be lower on that pecking order. You may argue that ‘Elon Musk’ is ‘richest man’ in the world and he’s autistic. But who actually likes him?? No one. Everybody hates him and thinks he’s boring and unoriginal and weird. So ultimately money is irrelevant. Social dominance is more important. To obtain social dominance you have to be trustable, loyal, assertive, spontaneous and funny. People will love these things and will not bully you again. Just be nice basically! I got bullied in school sometimes because I was a little d*ck most of the time and I was always blaming everyone but myself. I’m glad I’m not like that now. It’s my fault I live with it I’m over it now. I also bullied others so I’m not all innocent and I don’t pretend to be either. I did some sh*tty things to other people at times. But your not gonna see me crying about being bullied because some kids did bully me but so did I so I am who I am and I am trying to be better everyday and not be a fool like I was when I was younger.

• Don’t you think though that autistic people over react sometimes and think they’re being bullied when they’re not at all. This is what then leads to actual bullying! Because someone might take the p*ss out of an autistic person just for a laugh but the autistic person will then over react because they take everything literally and don’t understand banter. This is what then causes them to get really bullied. Because they have been identified as soft targets by perpetrators because they can’t take a bit of banter for example. So it then causes others to see them as soft and target them in future. Humanity has a pecking order and a social hierarchy, autistic people tend to be lower on that pecking order. You may argue that ‘Elon Musk’ is ‘richest man’ in the world and he’s autistic. But who actually likes him?? No one. Everybody hates him and thinks he’s boring and unoriginal and weird. So ultimately money is irrelevant. Social dominance is more important. To obtain social dominance you have to be trustable, loyal, assertive, spontaneous and funny. People will love these things and will not bully you again. Just be nice basically! I got bullied in school sometimes because I was a little d*ck most of the time and I was always blaming everyone but myself. I’m glad I’m not like that now. It’s my fault I live with it I’m over it now. I also bullied others so I’m not all innocent and I don’t pretend to be either. I did some sh*tty things to other people at times. But your not gonna see me crying about being bullied because some kids did bully me but so did I so I am who I am and I am trying to be better everyday and not be a fool like I was when I was younger.

Children