Loneliness and autism

Hi, this is my first post on here! But would just like to hear other people’s experiences with loneliness while being neurodivergent. I’ve found that after I received my diagnosis I have gradually started to unmask little by little and now the limits to what I can and cannot do without exhausting myself are becoming a bit clearer. Because of this I think I have inadvertently/accidentally isolated myself, I also feel as though the friends I had before do not necessarily understand the change. However, this could be due to my own anxieties about the matter, whether they are based in fact is another thing in itself. I would like more neurodivergent friends but now feel so separate from the social scene that I have no idea where to start or how to initiate a conversation without feeling horrifically anxious. What are all your experiences?

Parents
  • Hi! I was diagnosed earlier this year and the main reason I sought out the diagnosis was that I never feel like I fit in anywhere. I basically have 3 friends that I have known since I was at school and then acquaintances at work etc but I don't know how to make new friends. I am still living with parents at 28, largely because the idea of living alone really scares me and would be very expensive. I'm asexual and find dating really hard so I'm single. I can't figure out how to get out of my current position, is anyone aware of any autistic or autism-friendly social groups or associations? I like the idea of being able to go to events without the commitment of having to go every week and hopefully I could make friends that way.

• Hi! I was diagnosed earlier this year and the main reason I sought out the diagnosis was that I never feel like I fit in anywhere. I basically have 3 friends that I have known since I was at school and then acquaintances at work etc but I don't know how to make new friends. I am still living with parents at 28, largely because the idea of living alone really scares me and would be very expensive. I'm asexual and find dating really hard so I'm single. I can't figure out how to get out of my current position, is anyone aware of any autistic or autism-friendly social groups or associations? I like the idea of being able to go to events without the commitment of having to go every week and hopefully I could make friends that way.

Children
No Data