Had an Autistic meltdown over the weekend

Hi everyone, I am 29 but had a pretty big meltdown over the weekend at my parent's house and I am feeling very embarrassed, guilty and ashamed.

I ran out of the room and laid on the floor in the living room crying and saying I don't want to do things and that I'm a horrid person. Mum and Dad then persuaded me to go back to bed but I felt like I wasn't really in touch with myself as I remember crying in bed and ignoring Mum when she spoke to me. I didn't mean to ignore her, I just couldn't process what she was saying but she got more overwhelmed and upset as I just blanked her.

On Sunday I was really slow to do anything and felt like I needed to hide as I felt really guilty. I returned to my flat and spent the whole evening in bed.

I had a thought about what set this all off: 

1. I have been having IT problems and I hate change and when things 'break' even though they're not really broken.

2. I watched a programme with Mum and Dad which had animals in cages which upset me.

3. A pop up came up on my iPhone on the web browser and I was worried I had broken it.

I am feeling a lot better today and Mum and Dad drove to my flat with some cakes and we all had a chat which was nice, I said sorry too but I am so upset with myself and know this is likely to happen again in the future even though I will try really hard not to let it happen.

I am feeling very tired and unsure what to do next. I feel like I need to stop using technology completely to avoid triggers but Mum says that I can't stop using technology like my phone as you need one this day and age and she's right. 

Any advice would be really welcome as I'm feeling lost. I don't want to keep punishing myself for what happened over this weekend, but I also feel too tired to mask.

Parents
  • Hi, sorry to hear about that. It is impossible to stop meltdowns (or shutdowns) when you're on the spectrum, but it might be possible to put a few things in place to try to mitigate this.

You seem to have anxiety around using your phone. Your mother is correct in that it's a good idea to have a mobile phone, but we don't need to be connected to the internet every moment of the day. I dislike smart phones and I have turned the internet off on mine, so it's just for calls and to text if needed. I use a tablet or laptop at home when I choose to use the internet, but I don't take them with me when I go out.

Don't punish yourself for what happened - put it in the past and try to focus on something you would enjoy doing.

• Hi, sorry to hear about that. It is impossible to stop meltdowns (or shutdowns) when you're on the spectrum, but it might be possible to put a few things in place to try to mitigate this.

You seem to have anxiety around using your phone. Your mother is correct in that it's a good idea to have a mobile phone, but we don't need to be connected to the internet every moment of the day. I dislike smart phones and I have turned the internet off on mine, so it's just for calls and to text if needed. I use a tablet or laptop at home when I choose to use the internet, but I don't take them with me when I go out.

Don't punish yourself for what happened - put it in the past and try to focus on something you would enjoy doing.

Children