Diagnosis has made things worse

Hi, I’ve just been diagnosed aged 25 and I feel this has made things worse as I now know what I thought was just social anxiety (so possibly treatable) is actually autism and so will never go away. Looking back at my life, I realise that autism has had a huge negative impact - I’m unable to do things such as join sports teams or go to parties/social events without experiencing extreme anxiety before going, and then wanting them to be over the whole time I’m there. This has lead to me having no friends at 25 years old which is beginning to take a toll on my mental health. My mind feels like it’s in a constant battle with itself where I want to join in and enjoy playing sports, etc. but when I actually think about doing it, the anxiety kicks in and I end up back where I started. Does anyone else feel the same or have any advice on dealing with the diagnosis?

Parents
  • Hello Adam I've felt like you all my life , life has been a battle for me too, I'm 55 now and i've only just realized that i'm autistic, I've not been diagnosed yet but i relate to everyone so much on this site.  I am going to have to goto my Doctor and ask to be referred for assessment. I struggled in social situations all my life. I have a habit of drinking too much at parties to cope with my social anxiety and subsequently had alcohol and depression problems since i was about 17 years old. I have spent the last few days dwelling on the past thinking about all the lost opportunities that maybe i wouldn't of had if I had realized or had been diagnosed when i was much younger.  You are still young, now you know your autistic there is help out there for you and I'm sure your life will improve.  This is a great forum I've only been a member 3 days and I feel it is helping me already. Just try to look at the positives,  You have been diagnosed now, your life can only get better from here on. 

• Hello Adam I've felt like you all my life , life has been a battle for me too, I'm 55 now and i've only just realized that i'm autistic, I've not been diagnosed yet but i relate to everyone so much on this site.  I am going to have to goto my Doctor and ask to be referred for assessment. I struggled in social situations all my life. I have a habit of drinking too much at parties to cope with my social anxiety and subsequently had alcohol and depression problems since i was about 17 years old. I have spent the last few days dwelling on the past thinking about all the lost opportunities that maybe i wouldn't of had if I had realized or had been diagnosed when i was much younger.  You are still young, now you know your autistic there is help out there for you and I'm sure your life will improve.  This is a great forum I've only been a member 3 days and I feel it is helping me already. Just try to look at the positives,  You have been diagnosed now, your life can only get better from here on. 

Children
No Data