Diagnosis has made things worse

Hi, I’ve just been diagnosed aged 25 and I feel this has made things worse as I now know what I thought was just social anxiety (so possibly treatable) is actually autism and so will never go away. Looking back at my life, I realise that autism has had a huge negative impact - I’m unable to do things such as join sports teams or go to parties/social events without experiencing extreme anxiety before going, and then wanting them to be over the whole time I’m there. This has lead to me having no friends at 25 years old which is beginning to take a toll on my mental health. My mind feels like it’s in a constant battle with itself where I want to join in and enjoy playing sports, etc. but when I actually think about doing it, the anxiety kicks in and I end up back where I started. Does anyone else feel the same or have any advice on dealing with the diagnosis?

Parents
  • Adam,

I am 51 years old and I was confirmed as having autism just last week, I know what you mean by saying its made everything worse, I was angry, sad and relieved all at the same time.

All my life i was severely depressed and always anxious, never had a social group, was never friends with anyone at work, I saw my work colleagues talking about going on holidays together and I never had that pleasure.

You are young still, at least you weren't like some of us in our 50's getting diagnosed, trust me, that is a whole lifetime of regrets, being diagnosed in one way is the best thing possible as strange it may sound, you know it's NOT you but it's still you but its the new you you are getting to understand.

As others have said to me, it will be tough going through all these emotions but never punish yourself for being autistic. 

I wish you well in your new life journey as I'm starting out on mines just now.

• Adam,

I am 51 years old and I was confirmed as having autism just last week, I know what you mean by saying its made everything worse, I was angry, sad and relieved all at the same time.

All my life i was severely depressed and always anxious, never had a social group, was never friends with anyone at work, I saw my work colleagues talking about going on holidays together and I never had that pleasure.

You are young still, at least you weren't like some of us in our 50's getting diagnosed, trust me, that is a whole lifetime of regrets, being diagnosed in one way is the best thing possible as strange it may sound, you know it's NOT you but it's still you but its the new you you are getting to understand.

As others have said to me, it will be tough going through all these emotions but never punish yourself for being autistic. 

I wish you well in your new life journey as I'm starting out on mines just now.

Children
No Data