Did any of you feel as though you had an adult voice in your head as a child?

I did, it wasn't a voice coming from outside and talking to me, but an inner voice, it was like part of me was already grown up and would comment on things and people around me. It was something that kept me frorm making some mistakes, but also set me apart as "the sensible one". Being the sensible one often meant that any mistakes or just being a child were punnished more harshly than those who weren't expected to be sensible. I don't know how else to explain it, but it still pops up occaisionally, often when I'm in a crowd and people are playing silly head games, it shows me what the game is, so as I don't have to play it.

Parents
  • My inner guide was like this too. It would also repeat the 'rules' it had worked out about social interaction, what to say or not etc.

I've never really understood people my own age, all my friends are older or younger by a generation at least.

• Same here - I am not sure I have ever really judged people based upon their age - so people who are good company are selected on other grounds rather than because they are "my age".

Reply Children
No Data