Did any of you feel as though you had an adult voice in your head as a child?

I did, it wasn't a voice coming from outside and talking to me, but an inner voice, it was like part of me was already grown up and would comment on things and people around me. It was something that kept me frorm making some mistakes, but also set me apart as "the sensible one". Being the sensible one often meant that any mistakes or just being a child were punnished more harshly than those who weren't expected to be sensible. I don't know how else to explain it, but it still pops up occaisionally, often when I'm in a crowd and people are playing silly head games, it shows me what the game is, so as I don't have to play it.

Parents
  • talked to myself with lips moving, I’ve done this since childhood and still do.It’s always been an adult voice

As a child this seemed to be helpful in the form of scripting, sat quietly playing with something unrelated to the script topic (as a kind of dress rehearsal so you feel better prepared for the scenario being rehearsed out loud to yourself in anticipation of something unfamiliar).

My Mother used to tell me off for doing so (which I believe was a mistake - particularly, if I was minding my own business in my bedroom at the time!).

• talked to myself with lips moving, I’ve done this since childhood and still do.It’s always been an adult voice

As a child this seemed to be helpful in the form of scripting, sat quietly playing with something unrelated to the script topic (as a kind of dress rehearsal so you feel better prepared for the scenario being rehearsed out loud to yourself in anticipation of something unfamiliar).

My Mother used to tell me off for doing so (which I believe was a mistake - particularly, if I was minding my own business in my bedroom at the time!).

Children
  • Yes, it’s often a way of rehearsing and  problem solving , it’s just another thing neurotypical people find freaky because it’s different. I suppose it’s out of their norm. We didn’t have books in the house when I was a child , I was the kid who read the back of cereal packets to learn more.