When was the earliest time in your life that you remember feeling different from the majority?

Mine was when I started school. I remember sitting on a table with other children.  I felt happy enough but then they all started what felt like a word dance that I didn't know the steps to and couldn't join in with.  I remember feeling very alone and confused and panicky..  I mayve had my first shut down. Felt like i was in a washing machine and sound became a background thing. Suddenly couldn't understand them. That feeling still comes in a group of people. 

What was your experience?

Parents
  • As many others have said the first day at school was a standout time for me. I remember being hysterical because of separation anxiety from my mum and remember most of the other kids not reacting in the way I did. That reaction lasted all through primary school and I only ever managed one school trip. I hated school until I left. I did my best to hide it but others were comfortable at school and I knew I never felt comfortable, too many kids and teachers to avoid or be ready for which generally made me feel unwell. 

School was one big bad memory 

• Sorry to read you experienced a rough time across your School years.

As you say, the new transitions to starting; Nursery / Pre-School / Kindergarten / School etc  seems to have hit a tough memory recall for many of us within our Community. 

I suspect that in many cases that may be due to not many of us / our loved ones knowing by that stage that we were Autistic children.

I changed Schools many times as our Family moved home many times.  I wouldn't say each subsequent "first day at a new School" was any easier than the very first one.  (I was not identified as an Autistic person until well into adulthood).

I would like to think, in the circumstances, it does demonstrate our resilience (even when it didn't feel that way at the time).

These days, when I am preparing for something new; I try to think if there are any things I could do or carry with me to improve my coping strategies on such commencements (sometimes I call it correctly, other times I find that I have continuous improvement yet to be devised / refined).

• Sorry to read you experienced a rough time across your School years.

As you say, the new transitions to starting; Nursery / Pre-School / Kindergarten / School etc  seems to have hit a tough memory recall for many of us within our Community. 

I suspect that in many cases that may be due to not many of us / our loved ones knowing by that stage that we were Autistic children.

I changed Schools many times as our Family moved home many times.  I wouldn't say each subsequent "first day at a new School" was any easier than the very first one.  (I was not identified as an Autistic person until well into adulthood).

I would like to think, in the circumstances, it does demonstrate our resilience (even when it didn't feel that way at the time).

These days, when I am preparing for something new; I try to think if there are any things I could do or carry with me to improve my coping strategies on such commencements (sometimes I call it correctly, other times I find that I have continuous improvement yet to be devised / refined).

Children
No Data