Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)

A friend of mine who is autistic was recently diagnosed with this.

I've read of others here in the past who have the diagnosis.

I've wondered if I have the disorder although I don't have the diagnosis.

When I was younger (around 30 years ago) I remember telling my GP that I felt 'locked into a state of anxiety' and that is when he put me onto antidepressants (again).

A few years later I saw a letter from the hospital which listed my medical conditions and it included anxiety.

This really bemused me as I thought anxiety was just an ordinary part of everyday life.

I believe that the disorder diagnosis is a fairly recently one (I must check that out).

I'm pretty certain that the anxiety will be closely tied into the challenges of being autistic and also I have undiagnosed OCD which is obviously anxiety based and have had this since I was a small child.

What do others think - do you have a diagnosis? 

Do you become anxious in certain situations?

Or are you just anxious all the time?

Parents
  • I've had my own struggles with anxiety, and I get where you're coming from. I’ve also got OCD, and for me, anxiety isn't just about specific situations; it’s more like a constant background noise. It’s definitely linked to my OCD and maybe some of the challenges I face with autism. I’ve found talking to a therapist really helps. If you’re thinking you might have a similar issue, it might be worth checking in with a professional. Understanding what’s going on can really help manage things better.

• I've had my own struggles with anxiety, and I get where you're coming from. I’ve also got OCD, and for me, anxiety isn't just about specific situations; it’s more like a constant background noise. It’s definitely linked to my OCD and maybe some of the challenges I face with autism. I’ve found talking to a therapist really helps. If you’re thinking you might have a similar issue, it might be worth checking in with a professional. Understanding what’s going on can really help manage things better.

Children