Do you think you're capable to read people's face or reaction?

Hi all,

I'm new to this community and excited reading many stories in the community.

Recently I've been reading several articles about 'double empathy problems' and I've learnt about 'emotional empathy' which autistic people tend to be good at, that we can feel the same as other people (highly empathetic). But autistic people are not good at 'cognitive empathy' (the famous 'theory of mind' thing), where we're bad at cognitively prospecting people's emotions or thoughts.

I feel that this describes me exactly. I think I'm very empathetic (or sympathetic). I cry when I watch films or even trailers. I think I can tell when people get angry or uncomfortable when I'm with them (but I don't know why, but I can't do that with text only or voice only communication. I think I need face and body language to feel it). But I don't know at all how to fix it or approach it for them.

Now I'm curious about other people's experiences with this. I read several community chats here about empathy and what I thought was there're both people (who think themselves highly empathetic or not at all). 
Do you have any thoughts or stories?

Thank you.

Parents
  • I just made the read mind in the eyes test (RMET) my opinion about this test is hmm not so positive - all females with heavy, strong make up, eyes with black shadows etc and it’s really hard to say what they actually show as for me they have no emotions at all, but I’ve done quite well in guessing and elimination. It took me 22 minutes staring at those eyes and I got 25 out of 36 points. I’ve heard that properly this test should be played with only 4 seconds time to read the eyes on each picture. That is definitely too fast for me, I would have probably failed all the answers. 
    min real life it’s harder because it’s somehow easier for me to look at the eyes on a picture than making eye contact with someone 

• BTW - the site says the normal range IQ is >80. I'm going to look up the bell curve. surprised, me.

Reply Children