Do you think you're capable to read people's face or reaction?

Hi all,

I'm new to this community and excited reading many stories in the community.

Recently I've been reading several articles about 'double empathy problems' and I've learnt about 'emotional empathy' which autistic people tend to be good at, that we can feel the same as other people (highly empathetic). But autistic people are not good at 'cognitive empathy' (the famous 'theory of mind' thing), where we're bad at cognitively prospecting people's emotions or thoughts.

I feel that this describes me exactly. I think I'm very empathetic (or sympathetic). I cry when I watch films or even trailers. I think I can tell when people get angry or uncomfortable when I'm with them (but I don't know why, but I can't do that with text only or voice only communication. I think I need face and body language to feel it). But I don't know at all how to fix it or approach it for them.

Now I'm curious about other people's experiences with this. I read several community chats here about empathy and what I thought was there're both people (who think themselves highly empathetic or not at all). 
Do you have any thoughts or stories?

Thank you.

• My IQ is 107... not Einstein but pretty average and ok 

• Actually my husband is under depression and I don't know what to do. Generally I am 'go and find solution' type of person but I know that my general approach won't work for someone under depression. Then I tried leave him but he get upset (he thinks I'm emotion less). And his depressed emotion is relentlessly impact on me (I feel it and now my ears are in pain with too much negative words).

I was in serious depression when I was a teenager, but I grown up in Asian family and I didn't get any medical support at the time. So I don't know how people can recover from depression (mine took 2 years. One of my school teacher helped me as a replacement of professional counselor)

• Do you think we are hyper empathetic to positive emotions too?
    I feel happy when my friend is happy, but generally I feel I recognize my hyper empathy  with negative (sad, angry confused etc) feelings.

My wife after many years still thinks I’m emotionless even though I know it’s quite the opposite.
    Same here... expressing the emotion is totally different story!

• I am of the opinion that my observational skills "hard wire me" to enhanced sensitivity to identify another individuals emotional condition.

Ahh, this is also very interesting point of view and make sense a lot to me too! I'm highly sensitive with vision and I can recognize really tiny slight movement of the muscles on people's face or body attiduded. I also have strong interests to other people (how they think and feel - because it's different from me) so it's more like analytical perspective I can guess.

Recently I was considering how more people can be open minded. I feel hard to communicate with fixed-mindset people because they have no interests to new perspectives.

• BTW - the site says the normal range IQ is >80. I'm going to look up the bell curve. surprised, me.

• I think I can read people's faces but because of the awful responses that I sometimes get thinking about it I probably can't Unamused.

At work a little while back I was asking a colleague for support as my manager suggested I did and he was so aggressive verbally to me in front of my team. He said he didn't have time and was furious that I'd asked. 

I sort of let it go. I have this way of sort of letting people bully me I spose you'd say.

Been from years of this sort of thing happening to me I expect. 

Not nice.

• Yes, after the test and checking results I red, it was written that autistic people choose based on the knowledge of facial expressions, guess and eliminating. NTs know immediately what the eyes show and it takes them up to 3 minutes to finish this test. 

• Same here. Also people are saying things at the same time and often contradicting the eyes. I don't linger on eyes either. I am scanning, mapping. Some people say it makes me look "shifty", which is ironic after thinking about this test. Maybe now i know about the 4 second rule I can take it again with new pictures..

• yes I lingered while I eliminated one after another of the options till I came up with, for me, the closest. Some I felt were something not listed so I chose the closest guess.

It took a long time. about 40 minutes for a whopping score of 27! I cant say I would have done so well if I was on a timer.

• I am highly sensitive (sensory processing sensitivity SPS), have known that since I heard about it in the 90s. I feel how people feel, and get overwhelmed with feeling other people's stuff when I walk into a room or group. It is like hearing, but sensing emotion. I can't always name the emotions, but I do feel them.

I generally respond to an individual's emotional sense, by being beside them. Mostly I ask them an open question and give them the space to open up if they want. They can tell I am honest and genuinely interested.

It doesn't work with skilled liars, but I pick up on the deceit (difference between what they say and what I feel they feel) much of the time.

• I just made the read mind in the eyes test (RMET) my opinion about this test is hmm not so positive - all females with heavy, strong make up, eyes with black shadows etc and it’s really hard to say what they actually show as for me they have no emotions at all, but I’ve done quite well in guessing and elimination. It took me 22 minutes staring at those eyes and I got 25 out of 36 points. I’ve heard that properly this test should be played with only 4 seconds time to read the eyes on each picture. That is definitely too fast for me, I would have probably failed all the answers. 
    min real life it’s harder because it’s somehow easier for me to look at the eyes on a picture than making eye contact with someone 

• Hiya

Have just listened in to a podcast that discusses the philosophy of Stoicism which claims to be a guide for better life.  I guess that to some extent I as others come to this form of discussion to find a way towards a better life.  Seems that stoicism separates emotional response and rational response.  The answers that have been put forward and your initial statement seems to differentiate in these same terms.  Stoics seem to be keen on aligning their emotions to reality.  If the question is getting at is do autistic people struggle with cognitive empathy (which is about combining insight of emotions and our own internal judgments (rationality)) then it seems that many responses suggest autistic people don't uniformly have problems with this.  From personal experience I'd suggest that problems I have with knowing how to fix or approach people when they get angry or uncomfortable it's more likely to happen when their issues correlate with complex trauma or personality problems that I have - maybe these have correlations with why I am diagnosed and "am" autistic but... I am autistic and so far don't think I either want to or can change that.  Resolving complex trauma and personality issues well, maybe that is possible - and maybe that is a way towards finding a better life?

• Empathy, by classic definition is about Relating with an other and Responding as they expect through external emotions or behaviour/words. It's intuitive. When we're provided all the information to understand and relate with an other, this human response occurs naturally. In a movie, at the theatre or at an art gallery, everyone would be provided the same information (some times maturity will be a barrier to accessing this), but for the most part, a song might evoke the same response in Autistic and Non-Autistic listeners. And this would be an Empathetic response. 

However, human-to-human isn't always this easy. Many people expect you to "read their mind" to some degree and don't provide all the information directly, which complicates the listeners ability to empathise. Another issue we might have will be in Motivation and Perception. NonAutistics can be wired for social domination and social togetherness to a greater degree, and then have emotions which go along with these attributes, and therefore use language to express their 'empathy' with others who are also wired the same. This is where there can be a disconnect. For instance, the term "imposter syndrome" doesn't mean what we think it means. It's a convoluted term that has to do with certain psychological defence mechanisms and when it's used by non autistics, it's a virtue signal.

Empathy is one part understanding or relating with. And classically, it was understood to not be a virtue (like Sympathy, which someone provides as a act of graciousness even when they don't 'feel' what the other is feeling), but an intuiting of another and an effortless responsiveness. When examined, Sociopaths are highly empathetic - they understand and relate with Typical motives and feelings, and know how to fake the response required, but have no problem manipulating these to their benefit. 

• Face- not good,but not terrible. Body- not good. I like to be helpful and supportive, but I struggle with saying the  right words social communication wise. I therefore do it in a non personalised  way. By the passing on of information that might help others. I've been doing it via the RSS feeds I have for over 20 years.

• I think some of the emotions given in the multiple choice answers are rather unlikely. Certainly, a few I would class as impossible to recognise, or even to express in any combination of facial muscle activation. Charles Darwin wrote a book, 'The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals' on the subject and I'm sure he didn't include some of the strange  alleged 'emotions' included in the test.

• Some expressions I can read others are contradictory. sometimes the spoken word does not match the face. I don't as a general rule, linger on faces long.

• I tried this test and scored 19, now sure where that puts me but seems quite low??

I always thought I was quite good at reading people’s faces but this tells me different. 

• I find it really good what you’ve done to support your friend. And the offer of hot beverage is really great! 

• I find it really good what you’ve done to support your friend. And the offer of hot beverage is really great!