This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Riots

This surge in far-right violence is frightening me. I'm dreaming about it and having trouble focusing at the moment. My sensitivities seem to kick off badly when stuff like this is going on.

I keep away from the news best I can but it seems to be everywhere.

How do you deal with the issues out there today?

Parents
  • There's one planned for 5pm on my road, so that's delightful...

• There's one planned for 5pm on my road

I'm really sorry to hear that

That's awful.

You and your loved ones will be in my thoughts.

• Thank you. Thankfully they decided to congregate down the road and I'm not seeing reports of violence at least. 

• I live in Scotland and I have heard quite a lot of anti-English bigotry during my time. There are also pockets of Protestant versus Catholic bigotry mainly in the Central Belt, often associated with football teams Rangers vs Celtic, Hearts vs Hibs etc.

• I had the best fish and chips ever in Scotland(fish supper). My mum was from Aberdeen. Her mother from a small fishing village in Banffshire. Nearly all the male  ancestors on her maternal side were fisherman. Like many Scots she was a keen soup maker.

• I adore the scots and their sense of humour without getting into politics I was so pleased they remained they provide great comfort for me and the union

• Scotland is staying out of the violence

This reminds me of when I lived in Glasgow during the student riots of 1985 - there were hundreds of thousands of students marching through the streets protesting about student fees being introduced and whenever we passed by a pub then big chunks of the group would dissapear into the pub for a swift pint before staggering out to join the back of the march.

By the end half were legless and had forgotten what they were protesting about.

It was all pretty good natured with a fair bit of creative changing about Thatcher at the time - not quite a far right hate driven event like we are seeing but then again the Scots do seem more tolerant to foreigners in general than the English.

I guess it is because of the bad experience many of us felt whenever we were in England - certainly I get ribbed about my accent even these days when in England and have jokes made about my nationality.

I'm not sure I could put up with the Scottish weather again though - the food is bad enough on its own Slight smile

• Nothing justifies what those abhorrent thugs have been doing.

Yes. 

• Regardless of any legitimate concerns people have, it was spooky to see so many people walking down in masks. I wasn't sure what they were hoping for.

• Thankfully they decided to congregate down the road and I'm not seeing reports of violence at least. 

I'm very glad to hear that and thank you for letting us know.

I was just going through the BBC site skim reading the events that have and are taking place including attacking medical staff.

Those medical staff (especially those from 'ethnic minorities') are being targetted by the louts and told to travel in groups.

This country is making me ashamed to be a citizen.

Scotland is staying out of the violence - I think I need to move very up norf!

• Thankfully they decided to congregate down the road and I'm not seeing reports of violence at least. 

I'm very glad to hear that and thank you for letting us know.

I was just going through the BBC site skim reading the events that have and are taking place including attacking medical staff.

Those medical staff (especially those from 'ethnic minorities') are being targetted by the louts and told to travel in groups.

This country is making me ashamed to be a citizen.

Scotland is staying out of the violence - I think I need to move very up norf!

Children
  • I live in Scotland and I have heard quite a lot of anti-English bigotry during my time. There are also pockets of Protestant versus Catholic bigotry mainly in the Central Belt, often associated with football teams Rangers vs Celtic, Hearts vs Hibs etc.

• I had the best fish and chips ever in Scotland(fish supper). My mum was from Aberdeen. Her mother from a small fishing village in Banffshire. Nearly all the male  ancestors on her maternal side were fisherman. Like many Scots she was a keen soup maker.

• I adore the scots and their sense of humour without getting into politics I was so pleased they remained they provide great comfort for me and the union

This reminds me of when I lived in Glasgow during the student riots of 1985 - there were hundreds of thousands of students marching through the streets protesting about student fees being introduced and whenever we passed by a pub then big chunks of the group would dissapear into the pub for a swift pint before staggering out to join the back of the march.

By the end half were legless and had forgotten what they were protesting about.

It was all pretty good natured with a fair bit of creative changing about Thatcher at the time - not quite a far right hate driven event like we are seeing but then again the Scots do seem more tolerant to foreigners in general than the English.

I guess it is because of the bad experience many of us felt whenever we were in England - certainly I get ribbed about my accent even these days when in England and have jokes made about my nationality.

I'm not sure I could put up with the Scottish weather again though - the food is bad enough on its own Slight smile

• Nothing justifies what those abhorrent thugs have been doing.

Yes. 

• Regardless of any legitimate concerns people have, it was spooky to see so many people walking down in masks. I wasn't sure what they were hoping for.