Living in the Twilight Zone

How would you describe autism. I think it should be called "twilight zone disorder." its like starts off nice and innocent,  the main protagonist is unsuspecting, then they realise they've fallen into a dark world and it always ends badly. Like a black cloud follows, them and curses them. Like a curse of a monkey paw or something. Yeah.

OF COURSE Y0.O cAn aLwAyS mAsK. Not that it will be convincing or anything, but you'll appear maybe a few percentage points less weird.

Parents
  • For me, it was great when I didn't realise I was different, then terrible because of how everyone treated me as a child/teenager, and then it was a little better, and now it's great again!

For the longest time, I wondered what was wrong with me. Why people disliked me for things I didn't understand. Having learned about autism, I feel like things finally clicked for me. At university, I have met many autistic friends and many non-autistic people who accept me for who I am. I definitely still get people who treat me like a weirdo, but that's their problem, not mine!!!

I make an effort to be friendly and kind to everyone I meet, and if they don't treat me the same, I don't speak to them!!! There are plenty of people who will like you for you, despite being "weird"! I'm weird too!

• My first thought you must be a woman... Yeah, 22. A male in your situation might have a completely different take. Woman are generally treated better in society. Especially if they're pretty. You can be pretty woman and weird. Try being a nondescript male and weird. Its a totally different ball game.

• My first thought you must be a woman... Yeah, 22. A male in your situation might have a completely different take. Woman are generally treated better in society. Especially if they're pretty. You can be pretty woman and weird. Try being a nondescript male and weird. Its a totally different ball game.

Children
  • JoyJoy Ok good, my bad!!! Sorry, I can't really read the room. it might have something to do with the autism ThinkingJoy I hope all will be well in your future! Have a good evening ^_^

• I'm going through to much personal things right now, on my mind, i couldn't court you, if i tried!

foul writhing creature beyond mortal comprehension.

Self deprecation... Not fine at all! Smile

I'm all about the offense. Always on the offensive. Intentional or otherwise !

• I am a foul writhing creature beyond mortal comprehension. Not fine at all!

Apologies, I can't tell if you are joking Sob

Just in case you aren't joking, I hope you don't mind if I give a bit of advice. When aiming to befriend women, you should avoid talking about their attractiveness unless you are actively trying to court them. Some women will take offense to spontaneous advances.

Sorry if you were joking and I made it awkward Sweat smile

• Diddy do it? You heard that new slim shady release, he goes against gen z on it, i'm not even a fan of him, havent listened since i was a teenager. but he has some sick lines. Hate him or love him , he's got talent. Can't take that away from him.

• I'm East Coast. Listening to Biggie now. No Diddy though.

• I don't tell me that, you turning me on Choco Sweat smile  

I imagine you 22, and fine as hell. I have a twisted imagination.

• never give up!!!!!!!!!!!!! its isolating being in a community of only NT people. My hometown is like that. It may mean you have to travel, or find communities online, but you can always find someone!! even one person makes a huge difference. for ages, I only really had the one friend. i hope you can find more autistic people. You can always message me! Sunglasses

• Wessside homie. Me? west side is the best side. West is the best.

• What region of the  country are you in? I'm in the East Midlands.

• I've only ever met a handful of people with autism irl. Though I did get along with them, sort of. But ...yeah, I can see where you're coming from, it's by no means easy.  It's a heatwave right now in UK. lol, a woman can be sweaty, greasy, not washed her hair, and still be considered cute and endearing, but that's...just, women get more slack in that regard, but yeah, the treated like a child thing is universal, belittled, all that. Animal, freak, all that. I only ever met one self admitted autistic woman, i liked her, she was blunt and straight to the point, straight forward. 99% of people i've know are NT. I don't know any local weirdo clubs. It's a saturnalia of NT debauchery and alcoholism, drug use, and NT ways everywhere around me. Id love to meet some nerdy autists i could get along with. But I've given up on, all that!

• I see where you are coming from, but everyone is different. Even an attractive woman will only get so far on looks alone; when it comes to forming closer friendships, their autistic traits may cause people to misinterpret their actions or words. And women who AREN'T attractive get bullied relentlessly.

I was BUTT ugly as a kid, I stank, I had no boundaries. I was very off putting LOL! As a teenager, I learned to morph into something more socially acceptable, but it made me miserable. I got to 20, and I was just like, I GIVE UP! Now I dress weird, I say what I want, I talk to whoever I fancy, I like whatever I like. Plenty of people find me annoying and strange. But then, why would I even want to talk to them, anyway?!

It IS hard making friends as an autistic person. That is certainly true. My first year of uni, I had 'friends' but they would go out without me and treated me like I was a child. I have been treated less like a person and more like an animal by people for a lot of my life. Even now, I still get it. At work, at uni, etc.

I have found that making friends with autistic people and other "weird" people has been amazing. I can speak to them candidly about how I feel without fear of being misunderstood. I can be myself.

Gender certainly makes a difference in how one is treated, especially with autism, as women are more likely to mask their features, which may give them a higher degree of social acceptability. It is a topic of deep interest to me as someone whose dissertation will be on the subject!

HOWEVER! We share many problems as well! At the end of the day, male or female, we are still autistic! I get people looking at me like a freak! I get people laughing at me, at the way I dress, the way I look. I get people staring at me judgementally when I speak. Some people SUCK. But some people are really nice. If someone treats you badly, that's THEIR problem, not yours.

Find people with the same interests and geek out about it with them. I'm in an anime society and a gaming society. These people are great! I play DND with my friends! Honestly, half of the reason I'll befriend someone is due to a shared interest! I love being a weirdo, because my friends are weirdos too!!!!!! And I love them!!!!!!!!