Silence

Hi

in Mid may I had an assessment and this confirmed most things for me. It was a sort of release knowing why I was who I am.

However, of the people I have told. A couple have said they were not surprised One was supportive. From the rest just silence. This was thrown into sharp relief over the weekend after having some time with relatives Sat night my wife said I was high masking autistic. 

From that point on hardly a word was said. If this was just once I would have past it off. But it isn’t it almost like nobody wants to acknowledge it. It’s bad enough having conversations with people at the best of times but when they clam up. It just makes life more awkward for them. I’m happy not talking particularly as I feel the assessment was a positive step in understanding who, why and what I am and the same for what I do.

Out of curiosity has anyone else had this experience. 

Parents
  • PS. Along with - or instead of - my thoughts below, I've just seen some great advice in another thread from , which could also help in any similar situations:

When you speak and there is silence afterwards, don't hesitate to mention the last thing another person in the group said. then go back to that subject with a question about that subject.. let them take the floor. and all is well.
  • PS. Along with - or instead of - my thoughts below, I've just seen some great advice in another thread from , which could also help in any similar situations:

When you speak and there is silence afterwards, don't hesitate to mention the last thing another person in the group said. then go back to that subject with a question about that subject.. let them take the floor. and all is well.
Children
No Data