So how long does this "acceptance" sh*t take then?

Hmmm.......so 4 months into my 'diagnosed' state (48yo), and I'm not feeling a whole heap of acceptance. I am still feeling quite bitter and resentful. Everything I see around me in life and at work seems to have been, and continues to be, designed with a slightly different species in mind.

I have started reading this forum more often, even though I'm scared of keep seeing my reflection in these threads, and am following some overtly divergent contributors on Facebook. I was skeptical that at my age, with my history, that I could somehow find 'inner peace' (I mean, really - what the hell is that even supposed to mean?), but at the moment I'm heading in the opposite direction. Those long-cherished hopes of finding the right therapy, the right antidepressant to 'sort me out' seem absurd. 

I recall seeing a quite old entry on here where a user refers to feeling much better about the state of things 4 years in. FOUR YEARS? (yes, I am shouting). I don't think I can maintain even the current crumbling facade for another 3+ years. Especially now I recognize the effort I am putting in, and the energy this costs me.

Parents
  • Hi James,

I can relate to your comments.I got diagnosed this year at aged 54 however i have known I was different shall we say all my life.

I have had apart from when my mum dies the worst year of my life.I don't think it is helpful to try and work out how long acceptance takes.In my opinion it is a journey and you will have good and bad days.I try and go with the flow when  good and try what I can do on the bad days.I am afraid most people not in our community are unkind and make stupid comments .Keep going we all route for you on here

• Hi James,

I can relate to your comments.I got diagnosed this year at aged 54 however i have known I was different shall we say all my life.

I have had apart from when my mum dies the worst year of my life.I don't think it is helpful to try and work out how long acceptance takes.In my opinion it is a journey and you will have good and bad days.I try and go with the flow when  good and try what I can do on the bad days.I am afraid most people not in our community are unkind and make stupid comments .Keep going we all route for you on here

Children
No Data