It's the label and stigma that is disabling

I wrote this in another thread but thought it important to discuss more widely.

I was diagnosed at 40 (few years ago). Afterwards, I receeded and didn't like the label so I've mostly kept it to myself. I've found that instead of telling people 'im autistic so I need...', instead I just note that 'i have sensory differences so I need...' for example.

For me the label and stigma are the disabling part, not my brain. This has helped me a lot.

People seem to accommodate your needs fine, but if they are told 'i am autistic so I need...' they become affected and prejudiced by the stigma of what they think autism is (stereotypes) and what they expect an autistic person to be so usually then change their behaviour towards me which always makes me so uncomfortable.

Note: this is just my observation and I fully acknowledge that autism is definitely a disability in many ways for many people. And me too in some ways.

Let me know your thoughts on this please

Parents
  • I agree.  I do as you do.  I have found this to be the easiest way of "keeping it real" these days.  We should both remain thankful that we have the capacity to do so.....not all of us (by any stretch) can do it this way.

• I agree.  I do as you do.  I have found this to be the easiest way of "keeping it real" these days.  We should both remain thankful that we have the capacity to do so.....not all of us (by any stretch) can do it this way.

Children
  • I struggle to without masking my needs. Some people still probe "why do have you issues with sensory....etc". But its the best way I've found so far. Dodging society's ignorance! PS: Thanks Number