It's the label and stigma that is disabling

I wrote this in another thread but thought it important to discuss more widely.

I was diagnosed at 40 (few years ago). Afterwards, I receeded and didn't like the label so I've mostly kept it to myself. I've found that instead of telling people 'im autistic so I need...', instead I just note that 'i have sensory differences so I need...' for example.

For me the label and stigma are the disabling part, not my brain. This has helped me a lot.

People seem to accommodate your needs fine, but if they are told 'i am autistic so I need...' they become affected and prejudiced by the stigma of what they think autism is (stereotypes) and what they expect an autistic person to be so usually then change their behaviour towards me which always makes me so uncomfortable.

Note: this is just my observation and I fully acknowledge that autism is definitely a disability in many ways for many people. And me too in some ways.

Let me know your thoughts on this please

Parents
  • Good topic! In my case it’s a bit different - at work (my current one) I told my colleagues and manager what I need but it seemed to not work until I told them I’m autistic. Then I stopped being bullied but I must emphasize- this seems to be an exception! I am just lucky to have understanding and accommodating manager and colleagues. I don’t need much. They know I’m uncomfortable with eye contact and small talk so they don’t push me to do that and they know I’m sensitive so they have no problems with me wearing earplugs and sunglasses. They are happy with my work and I’m happy I finally found job that reduces my anxiety. I work with objects and data and I have very little contact with people. Sometimes I talk a bit with my colleagues if they approach me first. But I agree - most of the people stigmatize and isolate you if they know you are autistic. There is still a lot to do in this topic. I watched a video from the channel “autism from the inside” where Paul Micalleff talk about diagnosis disclosure. And he also said, that we need to be careful and best to not disclose the diagnosis too early, because people mostly don’t know what autism actually is. It’s better to tell them, what you need, without mentioning autism. 

• Good topic! In my case it’s a bit different - at work (my current one) I told my colleagues and manager what I need but it seemed to not work until I told them I’m autistic. Then I stopped being bullied but I must emphasize- this seems to be an exception! I am just lucky to have understanding and accommodating manager and colleagues. I don’t need much. They know I’m uncomfortable with eye contact and small talk so they don’t push me to do that and they know I’m sensitive so they have no problems with me wearing earplugs and sunglasses. They are happy with my work and I’m happy I finally found job that reduces my anxiety. I work with objects and data and I have very little contact with people. Sometimes I talk a bit with my colleagues if they approach me first. But I agree - most of the people stigmatize and isolate you if they know you are autistic. There is still a lot to do in this topic. I watched a video from the channel “autism from the inside” where Paul Micalleff talk about diagnosis disclosure. And he also said, that we need to be careful and best to not disclose the diagnosis too early, because people mostly don’t know what autism actually is. It’s better to tell them, what you need, without mentioning autism. 

Children