autistic adult needing sensory processing "OT"

I was diagnosed privately with autism as an adult. The doctor recommended a occupational therapist in sensory processing said I should be able to see one or apply for funding from my local icb.

I've applied for funding and got turned down because most people with autism have sensory needs.

I was referred to the local learning disability services that might not be severe enough .

I was also sent to the main Sheffield adult autistic service they also recommended an ot sensory processing I was on a waiting list for two years the person who does this has left and i it's not something that they offer non longer

Every time I get an issue regarding my autism I am sent to the mental health clinic locally to me. They don't have an occupational therapist in sensory processing and they don't offer it I'm stuck. I haven't got the money to pay for it privately.

There is a local organisation but it's not occupational therapy, it's just general information about being autistic. 

I contacted my local MP he says what the NHS can offer is limited because it's lacking money. 

My local council has started doing an all-age autism strategy an occupational therapist but sensory processing isn't included.

I don't know where to turn or what to do.

I also have other health issues also awaiting ADHD diagnosis. 

Parents Reply Children
  • hello

I am not a great reader i have dyskexia and reading age of 9 year old so books not great and meaning and context is something i struggle with greatly. my school was more bother about writing in right hand that it was about spelling and grammer.

I do amazon audio books but very hard to find obscure books that arent  main stream. i am in part going to help my self by purches a dog that is trained and not puppy age. i do know how to feed a dog i stalk the family pets and they are my only true friends. had dog and cats since a younge age. i was told by mental health worker stroke a fur pillow you can tell the difference.

I did ask mental health i get shrugged off and told its to be expected. also asked my why i needed to know about autism. power is knowledge better understanding of my self. as every time issue with me send to mental health its not a mental health problem. there is a group parent and carer forum its naff in truth there use of power point isnt great which annoys me, as i can use that. you are shoved in a dark, cold room to over crammed info on powerpoint semimar very unprofessinal in delivery and these are paid staff. alot of it just you tube videos i can do at home.