Old Life

So for 4+ years I've been making the transition to accepting my dianosis. I've changed my lifestyle a lot so I'm no longer sick from stress, I work remotely which has been a massive reason for my rRoflewed health which had seen me have Roflcrohns disease for over a decade.

But now I'm in a position where I am able to admit my limitations from ASC actually do stop me from doing the work I used to do. I can't travel in public transport, I have to drive, and I can't adhere to a full-time role, I work freelance so I can take days off as and when I need them. It works.

But my work has dried up and I now need to get back out there to ensure I don't starve or become homeless.

How do I continue on when my old life no longer fits my new self? I feel trapped in no man's land. Does anyone else share this issue? What did you do to resolve it?

Parents
  • I have the same issue. I don't have any solutions yet, sorry.

My story is slightly different in that I went freelance several years ago and have only just been diagnosed this year.

I don't have Crohn's, but IBS was and is always an issue

I can't seem to do the constant networking required.

The psychologist who diagnosed me suggested an autistic friendly life coach, which is probably the route that I will have to take.

• Fwiw......I think Mr T (as above here) offers a sound commentary of my feelings regarding "life coaching" at these earliest "blinking into the sunlight" months of the adult post-diagnosis "experience."  I can't imagine that any single person could have aided me at that most up-and-down time.  The good news (from my perspective).....is that things levelled out for me........e   v   e     n       t       u         a          l            l           y.

• He's 4+ years post diagnosis.

Reply Children
  • Yea - that's probably often my fault - but often when a "bot" is actually involved - or if not a "bot" a human entity that has trailed evidence of previously trying to goad and bait others into argument.  I know I have had it wrong a few times, but generally not.

But for the sake of ABSOLUTE clarity, I am very certain that no one in this thread is anything other than an autistic human.....it is unmistakeable.

• Oh, OK. I wasn't looking for help for myself. Just trying to provide some empathy and an idea. Thanks though. I'm not one for going off-topic too much. I've seen some very serious posts descend into conversations about 'bots Wink

• Yea.....and....your point ?  [Disambiguation = friendly]  Dude, I'm talking to you, not him.  You were diagnosed this year....so my comment is to you, not to him.  Bloo dy autistic folk !  [Disambiguation = funny and self-referring]