Old Life

So for 4+ years I've been making the transition to accepting my dianosis. I've changed my lifestyle a lot so I'm no longer sick from stress, I work remotely which has been a massive reason for my rRoflewed health which had seen me have Roflcrohns disease for over a decade.

But now I'm in a position where I am able to admit my limitations from ASC actually do stop me from doing the work I used to do. I can't travel in public transport, I have to drive, and I can't adhere to a full-time role, I work freelance so I can take days off as and when I need them. It works.

But my work has dried up and I now need to get back out there to ensure I don't starve or become homeless.

How do I continue on when my old life no longer fits my new self? I feel trapped in no man's land. Does anyone else share this issue? What did you do to resolve it?

Parents
  • There is an element of grieving for the what if's from the old life when you get a diagnosis. I am just over a year on from mine. I thought that would be an end to all my problems as I now had an answer. The reality for me was what the heck do I do. I read books on autism in late diagnosed adults to try and get an understanding of my 'thing'. I thought get a life coach which was basically a waste of my hard earned. It could have been that it was too early for me in my discovery period. I think I am still in that phase.

So over the last year I have tried to learn about myself and look at things through the lens of my autism. I was open with my line managers and foolishly believed that would lead to a happy work life with the adjustments I needed to be my best self at work. I'm now waiting on my union to tell me if I have a case for an ET. I cannot do the field in which I have worked for 30 years according to my managers!

I am now not at a crossroads now but more of standing on the edge of a cliff surrounded in mist where I cannot see my feet. At my back fire is slowly creeping towards me. What do I do? Do I take a step forward into the unknown or stand and try to put out the fire unsuccessfully. Both choices for an autistic are problematic.

What I have learned is that this world is not made for me and I need to find a way to navigate it causing the least damage to myself. 

• There is an element of grieving for the what if's from the old life when you get a diagnosis. I am just over a year on from mine. I thought that would be an end to all my problems as I now had an answer. The reality for me was what the heck do I do. I read books on autism in late diagnosed adults to try and get an understanding of my 'thing'. I thought get a life coach which was basically a waste of my hard earned. It could have been that it was too early for me in my discovery period. I think I am still in that phase.

So over the last year I have tried to learn about myself and look at things through the lens of my autism. I was open with my line managers and foolishly believed that would lead to a happy work life with the adjustments I needed to be my best self at work. I'm now waiting on my union to tell me if I have a case for an ET. I cannot do the field in which I have worked for 30 years according to my managers!

I am now not at a crossroads now but more of standing on the edge of a cliff surrounded in mist where I cannot see my feet. At my back fire is slowly creeping towards me. What do I do? Do I take a step forward into the unknown or stand and try to put out the fire unsuccessfully. Both choices for an autistic are problematic.

What I have learned is that this world is not made for me and I need to find a way to navigate it causing the least damage to myself. 

Children
No Data