Intolerance

I really struggle with intolerance towards people who break the rules. It's a bit like "road rage", but not confined to when I'm driving. Whenever someone does something they aren't "supposed to" I'm liable to overreact and have a fit. I wish I didn't, as it's stressful in itself and can lead to confrontations which just make it worse. I wonder if this is common in autism...

Parents
  • its a sense of fairness, in abiding by the rules we are all held by the same standard and play by the same rules and treated the same. someone breaks the rules they are putting themselves above others, wanting unfair better treatment, breaking the system of fairness.

i stick to rules myself, i see others break rules but i ignore unless it has a effect on me or unless the rule breaker ever kicks off over anything and wants judgement and i come in to set it straight in my rule based unbiased neutral way. to which then they think im against them and kick off, but im not im just dictating rules to set out who was right or wrong in it without having a opinion on whatever spat they have with others.

like a group in my flats were whining and complaining all the time, very enttitled people, they had the sillyness to make it splash onto me and brought me into it so i gave them judgement based on rules and listed a whole list of rules they are breaking such as the nio smoking in the building rule, the fact the thing they was smoking was drugs which is illegal, the fact they make disturbance after hours which is against rules and law. while all their complaints against others were not backed by any rule or law, they just didnt like the cleaner for some reason lol so they had no basis of complaint while they was themselves in breach of laws and rules, so complaining about others with nothing against them but yet their own foundation themselves is of themselves breaking rules. so by neutrality i judged against them and they didnt like it. but i dont do that to take a side, i neutrally judge by the rules and laws.

• I agree with Caelius about many of us having an inate sense of fairness, that does seem to be something of a signifier for autism.

But I'm a bit of a natural anarchist and whilst I dont' see rules as there to be broken or that they don't apply to me, I do question them and some I don't understand at all. I suppose it depends on whether it's a rule or a law, a law is usually there for a reason and there will be consquenses for breaking them, points on the driving licence etc. But some things are just ridiculous and social rules in particular, I neither understand them or really want to, they seem false and inauthentic, people following them seem false and inauthentic, Who and how do I trust when everyone appears to be false and inauthentic and even worse they're playing a game who's rules they don't conciously understand, but expect everyone to understand and play by. There are consequenses to not abiding by these rules too, social isolation and bullying being common ones. I can't be bothered with many of these social niceties and prefer not to have to interact with them.

• You've made me realise that it's not all rule breaking that does it for me. When I consider that rules are stupid or unhelpful, it doesn't bother me if people break them. But when the rules are for the common good I get very upset when people flout them. I suppose what it comes down to is apparent lack of respect for others that gets me.

• You've made me realise that it's not all rule breaking that does it for me. When I consider that rules are stupid or unhelpful, it doesn't bother me if people break them. But when the rules are for the common good I get very upset when people flout them. I suppose what it comes down to is apparent lack of respect for others that gets me.

Children