Intolerance

I really struggle with intolerance towards people who break the rules. It's a bit like "road rage", but not confined to when I'm driving. Whenever someone does something they aren't "supposed to" I'm liable to overreact and have a fit. I wish I didn't, as it's stressful in itself and can lead to confrontations which just make it worse. I wonder if this is common in autism...

Parents
  • Whilst it doesn't cause me to "have a fit", I can't help but confront people when I see rule breaking (even if it is minor). "Road rage" is a good analogy for how I feel in these circumstances too. The confrontations rarely go well (as most people object to have their wrong-doings pointed out to them - especially by someone who does it in blunt and frustrated way), but I can't help myself. This was the worst thing about the COVID-19 lockdown periods for me. Whilst I loved the extra rules for social distancing etc, it brought me into a lot more conflicts with rule breakers. Whilst I don't know if this is a common autistic trait, I definitely attribute this behaviour to my autism.

• To many of us with autism, having clearly defined rules obeyed and complied with without question, without exception and without excuse, without protest and without further comment nor objection is something that has been done to (against) us in the past and therefore, some people just don’t like being called out on their hypocrisy and for us, it is a matter of common sense that the rules that they impose on us are the same rules that they themselves must be reasonably expected to follow, on merit, just like everyone else - it also follows that the penalties for breaking these rules, especially by those who hypocritically advocate such compliance with rules on merit need to be at least equally very severe, if not more so - Covid demonstrated this to us in a very real way - for example during Covid, I would have preferred armed police and armed milltary patrolling the streets to have enforced the Covid rules as rigidly and as forcefully as possible, even down to their patrolling the aisles of supermarkets to bark commands at those who were not complying 

• To many of us with autism, having clearly defined rules obeyed and complied with without question, without exception and without excuse, without protest and without further comment nor objection is something that has been done to (against) us in the past and therefore, some people just don’t like being called out on their hypocrisy and for us, it is a matter of common sense that the rules that they impose on us are the same rules that they themselves must be reasonably expected to follow, on merit, just like everyone else - it also follows that the penalties for breaking these rules, especially by those who hypocritically advocate such compliance with rules on merit need to be at least equally very severe, if not more so - Covid demonstrated this to us in a very real way - for example during Covid, I would have preferred armed police and armed milltary patrolling the streets to have enforced the Covid rules as rigidly and as forcefully as possible, even down to their patrolling the aisles of supermarkets to bark commands at those who were not complying 

Children