Hello

Hi Wave 

I'm new to the forum. I'm currently self disgnosed autistic/ADHD. I'm at a point where the shutdowns are becoming so much more frequent and they really take it out of me for a while. I really struggle to communicate in general, but the shutdowns leave me quite mute. I've never been able to express my emotions or understand them, or communicate in an effective way, even to my partner. 

My main struggles are communicating effectively, and some real issues with eye contact. I find it painful! Social anxiety is huge, I have a strict need to have the same routine day in day out, changes to this set my mood off and I find it difficult to then regulate myself. I find it difficult to recognise my emotional state and I'm quite dysregulated with this. 

I've always had an affiliation with the number 3 and patterns of 3. I remember this so clearly from childhood too. It became quite obsessive. There have been so many 'A-ha' moments since I've realised that what I've been feeling my whole life is valid.

I'm at a point where I've reached the end of this shitstorm and I need some help and support. I've been rehearsing and scripting my whole telephone conversation to the doctor but I just can't bring myself to do it. Communication is difficult and I become a bumbling mess, even though I speak perfectly articulately in my head. I have to get past this hurdle to be able to get an assessment. The telephone is the bane of my life!

Apologies for the introductory rant, I don't speak much about any of this and I'm just starting to understand myself finally :)

Parents
  • Hi Dani,

Welcome.

I have an idea, but wait to see if anyone else agrees.

Get some of you best points on a single piece of A4 paper (neatly handwritten, or ideally computer printed). Not too much text. Put the anxiety issues at the top and the evidence lower down.

Go in and say "I think I am autistic, and I want to be tested - here is a piece of paper to explain, as I find it hard to talk."

Most of us have been there, but I wish I'd thought of this myself years ago!

• Hi Dani,

Welcome.

I have an idea, but wait to see if anyone else agrees.

Get some of you best points on a single piece of A4 paper (neatly handwritten, or ideally computer printed). Not too much text. Put the anxiety issues at the top and the evidence lower down.

Go in and say "I think I am autistic, and I want to be tested - here is a piece of paper to explain, as I find it hard to talk."

Most of us have been there, but I wish I'd thought of this myself years ago!

Children
  • Hi Mark,

Ah yes, I have done this. I've written and thrown away so many telephone scripts! It's that feeling of 'im wasting their time because so many people need/want an assessment', and so many times I've hung up after the initial 'hello'...

I will try to focus on writing less text as I just become robotic then! 

I wish we could normalise booking appointments via email or on a booking system!

Thankyou for your advice :)