Late life diagnosis - autism imposter syndrome?

Hi,

I'm in my late 50s - have just had a diagnosis of autism confirmed.

Certainly, as an adult I'm very structured and have fixed routines (prefer to do the same thing each day, eat the same thing for days on end, really struggle with social anxiety which I think manage with 'scripting' but a lot of this has become second nature, I have a couple of artistic interests which I get very focused on to the exclusion of other things). I think I might be alexithymic in that I have a very poor sense of what my own emotional state is, but I'm pretty good at reading other people's states.

While the diagnosis has led me to a few "oh of course" moments, it's also been really confusing since as a child I don't think I exhibited any of the signs that are associated with autism. Similarly, I can make eye contact with people and feel as though I'm pretty empathetic and know what to do in social situations.

All of this has got me doubting my diagnosis and wondering if I'm autistic at all? In fact, rather than giving me answers I feel a bit like my identity up to now has been taken away?

Any advice in dealing with this would be really appreciated.

Parents
  • I empathise with you,as i was only diagnosed with aspergers in 2015,but the difference being that i have been autistic for most of my life and am now 66.

Since being diagnosed i have had no support from the NAS at all,whereas if i was a child up to the age of 18, they would be queuing up to give me support. i think it's pure discrimination by the NAS and other so-called mental health organisations.

Also i have great difficulty starting a relationship as most women i know, do not want to have a relationship with a 66 year old man who lives alone and who has aspergers.

• I empathise with you,as i was only diagnosed with aspergers in 2015,but the difference being that i have been autistic for most of my life and am now 66.

Since being diagnosed i have had no support from the NAS at all,whereas if i was a child up to the age of 18, they would be queuing up to give me support. i think it's pure discrimination by the NAS and other so-called mental health organisations.

Also i have great difficulty starting a relationship as most women i know, do not want to have a relationship with a 66 year old man who lives alone and who has aspergers.

Children
  • I sympathize - to be clear though, everyone who was late diagnosed like us has been autistic all their lives. It's not something that you get or develop. I'm sure you know this, but it wasn't clear. Relaxed

There are some very nice ladies out there. You have to meet in the middle somewhat (as with everything) One of the positive things that my wife said about me was that I didn't play games (Autism at it's best) and she liked that after her previous relationships.