On Site Censorship

Does anyone else get caught out by writing names or common expressions and then find that they've been automaitically censored? I've had this happen a couple of times and I find it really annoying that I can't use a name or phrase without it being censored, it seems like there's no context to the censorship, just a blanket ban, are we not grown ups who can sort this stuff out for ourselves? I think this site is to nannying at times and yet seems to allow other things to slip through unnoticed.

Parents
  • Keep in mind that this is not an adults-only community - the rules allow members from age 16.

• Keep in mind that this is not an adults-only community - the rules allow members from age 16

16 is adult.

You are old enough to get married (up until 2022 that is), have sex and have kids so I if this is allowed by law then I believe they can be exposed to a few swear words.

The law in the UK prevents you from purchasing alcohol, watching an 18 rated film or driving a car, but lets you create sentient life and go through the bloodbath of childbirth.

Swearing seems kind of trivial by comparison.

• 16 is adult.

Good grief! It demonstrably isn't. 

The age of majority in the UK is 18.

I'm not suggesting that most 16 year olds aren't familiar with words that may be censored here. I was simply reminding folks that members of this forum do include children.  

Just in case you're minded to continue arguing:

"Definitions of a child

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) defines a child as everyone under 18 unless, "under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier".

England

In England, a child is defined as anyone who has not yet reached their 18th birthday. Child protection guidance points out that even if a child has reached 16 years of age and is:

living independently
    in further education
    a member of the armed forces
    in hospital; or
    in custody in the secure estate

they are still legally children and should be given the same protection and entitlements as any other child (Department for Education, 2023)."

https://learning.nspcc.org.uk/child-protection-system/children-the-law#skip-to-content

Protection of children is also why Ofcom prohibits swearing (among other things) on TV before the 9pm watershed. 

• BZZZZT!!

It's *** Off!!

What do I win? (At least I'll win teh knowledge of if it censors the second word, or if the exclamation marks protect it). 

Reply Children
No Data