Autistic empathy

I thought I’d edit this to remove any offence I may have caused I just wondered what everyone thought of hidden emotional problems to do with autism. The reason I singled out empathy was to explore the realm of autism that is more emotional. I have a lot of help to give to autistic people. For example I will make a post tomorrow about some research I have been doing. I don’t know what it means but it’s interesting. Remember everyone that I am on your side. I care about autistic people more than you can know. It breaks me to see autistic people suffer with what I see as a disease and I have some things to get off my chest. Your all great and very supportive!

Parents
  • This feels like a really strange post. Did someone hack this account?

Blunt and insensitive, yes. But if I replace Autistic with Traumatised ADHD, the rest makes sense. But the traumatised Autistics of varying intellect I know, can be selfish, a bit dull, we can be egotistical for lack of feeling seen, but deceptive? We can be withdrawn and have difficult connecting or relating with others and responding as expected (empathy) due to difficulty with language. And while ignorance can be bliss it's also well good for the Dunning Kruger effect.  Add intensity of interest and poor insight, lack of mentorship... 

Who and how many others are you talking about here. 

Empathy used to be understood as Emotional Contagion. A sort of mass hypnosis of 'feeling'. Sympathy and Compassion are more useful.

But I do think it's good to remember, Diagnostics are all topsy turvy right now. Trauma is misapplied to Autism, therapists who haven't spent decades in deep psychoanalytic study don't know the difference between ADHD and Autism let alone what separates autistic from psychotic, which is why Francesca Happé has to speak on this. I'm relatively certain there's probably a good amount of kids who are introverts without added language barriers, some with trauma, currently misdiagnosed Autistic.

• Well good post. I just find it interesting that’s all. I truly want for autistic people to get better. It is a disease of the mind. I’m not being funny and no one hacked my account but we need to help these people before things get out of hand. I believe when autistic people are aggressive and hurt others they truly don’t mean it. Instead it is the disease in their heads that is making them do it. I have been aggressive in the past and have known other autistic people to be aggressive and violent. I had a friend who was autistic. In one of his moments of carelessness he cut me with a peice of glass and I still have a scar from it till this day. I didn’t press charges because I know he didn’t mean it it was the sickness in his mind that made him do it I know that. So I discontinued contacts. He was not affected emotionally by his actions. He laughed about it. Hey I don’t know what went through his head. I am owning it. This is a disease I have. A disease of the mind. I am ill. I am sick. I want to be healthy whatever that is.

• I don't see autism as a disease! It's just how I am and I am mostly healthy and quite robust in my sense of self, apart from new teeth and knees I don't need curing of anything.

• I might wish to encourage you to hunt down Erich Fromm. This is a complete list of his works https://fromm-online.org/werk/e-books/

He's an easier read than most, connecting past to present in such a way as to show the world at large is sick, unable to see beyond their illusions. Consumed with envy, exploited and exploiting, having too much but feeling empty, unable to sense purpose or light, subject to a collective which informs bias and reinforces a blindness. 

• I like etymology too, but when talking of things in the here and now I use the words in their current meaning, not their historical one as others find it confusing. Language develops over time and I think unease has taken the place of disease when speaking of feelings rather than an illness.

I object to the use of words like disease and disorder in relation to autism and related conditions, because I think we are neither diseased or disordered, autism isn't contagious, there's no cure, and one is unlikely as autism isn't caused by a single gene as far as we know, or vacinations, it's simply a variant among many others. We might be seen to be chaotic as in disordered by some others, we may feel that of ourselves, like many people my desk is one of organised chaos, what might look to some like random bits of paper and stuff strewn about, is one where I know where everything is, I think many people are like this.

Most of all I just hate this idea that autistic people and those with related conditions are somehow less than human, that we're worth less than the NT's, I think many people with various conditions from wheel chair users to the partially sighted feel the same. It's invalidating, now theres a word you might want to explore and think about it's applications through time.

We talk about NT's being a majority, but are they really? They are the societal norm, but are they the neurological norm? The more we find out about brain function and development the less clear the terms ND and NT seem. Just like the way we find that genetics isn't as simple as we once thought, with multiple gene's involved in many things, and I suspect that that will be the case with ND and NT.

• Expertly expressed.

Bravo....and agreed.

• I personally do not see my autism as a disease, I have no wish to be cured - though, as I am not diseased, the term 'cure' is inapplicable anyway. I function reasonably well, I have difficulties that allistic people do not have, but they have not stopped me from achieving the things I really wanted to achieve. I have placed myself in uncomfortable situations in order to achieve long-term goals. I consider that I am stronger than most allistic people precisely because I have repeatedly overcome difficulties that they could not even imagine existing. 

• I personally do not see my autism as a disease, I have no wish to be cured - though, as I am not diseased, the term 'cure' is inapplicable anyway. I function reasonably well, I have difficulties that allistic people do not have, but they have not stopped me from achieving the things I really wanted to achieve. I have placed myself in uncomfortable situations in order to achieve long-term goals. I consider that I am stronger than most allistic people precisely because I have repeatedly overcome difficulties that they could not even imagine existing. 

Children