Autistic empathy

I thought I’d edit this to remove any offence I may have caused I just wondered what everyone thought of hidden emotional problems to do with autism. The reason I singled out empathy was to explore the realm of autism that is more emotional. I have a lot of help to give to autistic people. For example I will make a post tomorrow about some research I have been doing. I don’t know what it means but it’s interesting. Remember everyone that I am on your side. I care about autistic people more than you can know. It breaks me to see autistic people suffer with what I see as a disease and I have some things to get off my chest. Your all great and very supportive!

Parents
  • Am autistic and I struggle to lie. You know those ones where your friend's partner is organising a surprise party for their birthday.. your friend comes and asks if you can go for dinner with them on their birthday. I know I can't blurt out that I'm going to their surprise party so I have to think of something true that doesn't give away the surprise, so I'll say something like I've already got something in the diary that night.

Empathy - I guess it varies hugely like it does for NTs. I am hugely empathetic, highly sensitive to the needs and moods of others, when I walk into a group I feel all their needs and emotional energy, it gets really overwhelming. But I have also read a lot that autistic people struggle with emotions, as they are felt on the inside and rarely explained when you're growing up, so it's hard to make the connection between the 'word' and the 'feeling'. Also I've read that NTs have cognitive empathy whereas autists, at least those who are highly sensitive, have emotional empathy. Do you have any empathy?

I'm not sure the purpose of your post, you seem to imply you are autistic but then you want the autistic person (and yourself?) to "get better"... better at what? We can't get better at thinking, as our brains are wired this way...

• When i get my wife a Xmas present it almost kills me not being able to tell her what it is! So I leave it late so I don't have as long to keep it hidden.

Not good with keeping secrets and struggle with anything close to lying.

I'd be useless at poker!

Seems to be a very common thing hing among autistic people.

• When i get my wife a Xmas present it almost kills me not being able to tell her what it is! So I leave it late so I don't have as long to keep it hidden.

Not good with keeping secrets and struggle with anything close to lying.

I'd be useless at poker!

Seems to be a very common thing hing among autistic people.

Children