Funny words and phrases

I once heard Nigella Lawson refer to a Microwave as a

Mee - Crow - Wah - Vay. It made me chuckle so much so, I often call it that myself. Makes me smile.

James May also calls the kettle the 'Electricity Pot' he stated that the Japanese literal translation for kettle is the electricity pot Joy.

Does anyone have anymore? 

Oh another I like is Rough - er - rolls, instead of Profiteroles Joy

List below please Joy

Parents
  • I had an English Aunt who lived in the USA, she was a larger lady and said to me “they have a name here for people like me….  A Beast.” she was quite upset. I explained that the word was obese. Grimacing

• Roy, your anecdote has reminded me of an incident that happened when I was a young child. I had answered the door to someone asking if we wanted any "carapets". Feeling confused, and also curious as to what 'carapets' were, I went to fetch my mother.

What the person had in fact asked (with a strong Irish accent) was if we wanted some carpets.

In my defence, it was the first time I had encountered someone with an Irish accent. In the event they overheard me, I just hope they didn't feel offended and think I was mocking their accent.

• I can understand what I would term as the  ‘Wogan’ accent and the Belfast accent that often sounds angry, the accent you heard was the Traveler fast accent, nobody can understand that.

This badge was being promoted on FB the other day, do you now have a secret society? Smiley

• I can understand what I would term as the  ‘Wogan’ accent and the Belfast accent that often sounds angry, the accent you heard was the Traveler fast accent, nobody can understand that.

This badge was being promoted on FB the other day, do you now have a secret society? Smiley

Children
  • If we are talking angry-sounding Irish accents, the person who always springs to my mind is Ian Paisley. When I was growing up and saw footage of him talking on TV during the 1980s, I remember feeling rather intimidated and scared by the tone of his voice.

Thanks for sharing the image of that badge Roy, which is so very me. Do I have a secret society? Well, all I can say is that if I didn't before, then I clearly do now. I guess I'd done too good a job of keeping it a secret, as I didn't know anything about it... until now. Laughing

• Fantastic!