Are there any benefits from being diagnosed with Autism/ADHD?

I know I'm on the Autism spectrum & most prob ADHD. My family know that I am. My bro & niece are.

So what are the benefits of others knowing?

Does it actually get you anywhere?

Do I need to be diagnosis to prove who I am?

Are there any benefits from being diagnosed?

Is knowing you are Autistic enough?

Would very much like to know your points of views on this & maybe see it from a diff perspective

Parents
  • To get the widest possible range of views (in addition to fresh replies / opinions here), it's well worth using the forum's search tool, as this question has been revisited many times over the years. 

In addition, the NAS resources may be of help. They include:

"Benefits of a diagnosis

Some people see a formal diagnosis as an unhelpful label, but for many, getting a timely and thorough assessment and diagnosis may be helpful because:

• It may help you (and your family, partner, employer, colleagues and friends) to understand why you may experience certain difficulties and what you can do about them.
    • It may correct a previous misdiagnosis (such as schizophrenia) and mean that any mental health problems can be better addressed.
    • It may help you to get access to appropriate services and benefits.
    • You will be entitled to have reasonable adjustments made by your employer, college or university.
    • It may help women, and those with a demand avoidant profile, who may not before have been recognised as autistic by others.
    • You don't need to be diagnosed to join our online community or subscribe to the Spectrum or Your Autism magazine, but you might need a diagnosis to join some social groups.
    • Although you don’t need to be diagnosed to have self-belief, some autistic people welcome the diagnosis as a way of making sense of their life experiences and being able to identify with other autistic people."

From: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/diagnosis/pre-diagnosis/adults

A couple of examples of previous threads:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/24311/benefits-of-diagnosis-for-older-adults/211545#211545

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/introduce-yourself/31591/what-are-the-benefits-of-an-adult-diagnosis

• Apologies for the repetition

I had read the "Benefits of a diagnosis" but most points don't apply to me. I don't have "family, partner, employer, colleagues and friends" around me; I am totally alone. I've not been misdiagnosed. I cannot access any services because I am Autistic & no-one to help me navigate them.

I was looking for more of a personal point of view. So I will endeavour to use the search tool from now on.

Ty

• There's absolutely no need to apologise - and please don't take what I said as criticism; it wasn't intended that way.

Each of us is unique in how we approach this question and I'm sure others will be more than happy to offer some fresh perspectives. I just wanted to encourage you to dig around in the forum archives, as something there might also prove helpful to you.

• Wasn't taken as criticism Bunny, you just stated the facts & I stated mine. I hope I wasn't too abrupt for you. I always take things in a positive manner; It lightens any potential stresses in communication Slight smile

Reply Children
No Data