Losing faith in talking therapy

I have gone through talking therapy in the past and reflected on whether it was beneficial at all.  In the short term it was good to have someone listen to me and feel better about myself for a while but then I had to quit when I felt it wasn't going anywhere.  I also can't tell if they're being sincere or just pretending to be sympathetic because they're paid to.

I recently started again but now I'm not sure if I can continue.  I'm also not comfortable disclosing my most personal issues anymore or having to tell my story again and again each time.  I feel like a broken record.

I also feel I can't be myself in those sessions and I now avoid discussing my autism, past self-harm thoughts or sexual repression out of fear of being misunderstood or not taken seriously despite assurances of understanding or non-judgment.

Parents
  • I relate to your anxieties about this. I am also now giving it a 2nd chance with the same doctor because she seems very good and I like her voice really. It is so soothing.

But I never know exactly how much I should share.

There are some things I don't think I should say and then I start wondering if it will ever really work if Im not willing to share it all. 

I also find it is very difficult for me to trust non ND people sometimes, and sometimes I do wish I could find a psychologist who also has ASD. 

• There are some things I don't think I should say and then I start wondering if it will ever really work if Im not willing to share it all. 

Unfortunately for the therapy to be effective you need to be completely open and honest otherswise the therapist has only part of the jigsaw puzzle to work from.

It is difficult to do which is why finding a therapist you feel you can trust is important.

• That's exactly right, I totaly agree. It requires so much strength though. Hopefully time will help open up more and more!

Reply Children
No Data