Losing faith in talking therapy

I have gone through talking therapy in the past and reflected on whether it was beneficial at all.  In the short term it was good to have someone listen to me and feel better about myself for a while but then I had to quit when I felt it wasn't going anywhere.  I also can't tell if they're being sincere or just pretending to be sympathetic because they're paid to.

I recently started again but now I'm not sure if I can continue.  I'm also not comfortable disclosing my most personal issues anymore or having to tell my story again and again each time.  I feel like a broken record.

I also feel I can't be myself in those sessions and I now avoid discussing my autism, past self-harm thoughts or sexual repression out of fear of being misunderstood or not taken seriously despite assurances of understanding or non-judgment.

Parents
  • Let us show mercy for those who wish to help and are not given what they need to do so. these therapists do want to help and are given a playbook which both misinforms them and hobbles them if they try to supersede it. This is the first conversation to have with a any therapist: what is the playbook and how do they feel about it?

I gave up the talkers and began Reichian therapy which opened a whole new world to me and got me in touch with my body and showed me how to read it's signs and warnings. This was in the early 80s and I have no idea if it is still available.

• Sounds interesting.  It's probably not done professionally anymore though.

• I will investigate and get back to you. It was the only thing that worked.

Reply Children
No Data