What is your biggest challenge with being an autistic adult?

I am an occupational therapist who works with autistic teens and young adults. I am curious- what is the biggest challenge autistic teens and young adults face as they transition to adulthood? Is it the fear of being lonely? Employment? Succeeding in college? Being accepted by others and making friends?

Parents
  • Accessing services such as healthcare and housing. They're behind a neurotypical communication barrier. Friends and so on I've found quite easy - you just find spaces that are full of autistic people and build connections. But certain jobs seem to be 100% staffed by neurotypicals and if you need to interact with them to get essential services it's difficult to figure out how to accurately transmit information to them and avoid them hating you to the extent they shut you out of services.

• Accessing services such as healthcare and housing. They're behind a neurotypical communication barrier. Friends and so on I've found quite easy - you just find spaces that are full of autistic people and build connections. But certain jobs seem to be 100% staffed by neurotypicals and if you need to interact with them to get essential services it's difficult to figure out how to accurately transmit information to them and avoid them hating you to the extent they shut you out of services.

Children
No Data